Cloning an Object

In his tutorial on drawing dovetails using his plug-in, Sharon Lev shows a process using the Scale Tool with an argument of -1 to make a clone of an objective previously duplicated with the Move Tool and the Ctrl key. The purpose is to have the plug-in act on both the original and the clone as it is used. You can see the tutorial here: Lev’s Dovetail Tutorial Video

I couldn’t replicate this in SketchUp Make V17.1.174 64-bit.

What am I missing?

With the drawer side selected, select the scale tool then you’ll see all the little cube grab handles appear. The one you want is in the centre of the largest face on the drawer side. Click this, move your mouse then type -1. Don’t click in the measurements box, just type it. You could also drag with the mouse then type -1. It doesn’t matter how much you scale with the mouse as the number you type overrides that.

What doesn’t help here is that at this point in the process the drawer side is symmetrical so it won’t look any different when you flip it. Practice on a component that isn’t symmetrical so you can see what’s happening easier.

Another method would be to copy/move the front/back and sides without scaling, create the dovetails then do the scaling to -1. That way you will see exactly what’s happening with the scale.

One thing you might be missing is that the drawer side must be a component and you must copy it without having it open for editing. As McGordon says, if there isn’t anything to visually differentiate the sides, it won’t look like you’ve done anything. Even if you’ve already cut the sockets for the dovetail joints, the sides will look the same. If you put the groove for the bottom in first or put a temporary cabinet maker’s mark on the component before you make the copy, you’ll be able to see that you’ve made a change. Note: I held Ctrl to scale about the center in this clip. On Mac you’d use Option.

An alternative which I prefer is to use Flip Along. I have keyboard shortcuts set up for flipping components along each of their three axes. It results in fewer steps and key strokes. In the case of my drawer, the Flip Along option would be Along Component’s Red.

When you develop a good workflow you’ll find it becomes second nature to flip the components right after copying them and you won’t need to put temporary marks on them.

When I am drawing up a project with drawers, I make all the drawers without the joinery and get them in place. When I’m satisfied with the drawer arrangement I’ll cut the joinery. In this Pennsylvania spice cabinet I drew one drawer box and copied it to make all the others including the secret box in the back. Then I added the dovetails to the various drawer boxes. Between the use of components throughout and the Wudworx dovetail tool, it was a quick and easy project.

1 Like

You should have hide the secret box, though😂

Oh, shoot! Now it’s not a secret. :frowning:
Ha! I bet you wouldn’t find it if you were looking at the case. It doesn’t come out the front.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.