Circular guides

Do it the old fashioned way. Draw an X on each end of the tube. Turn on x-ray view and connect the two lines. Then very carefully delete the X marks on each end.

1 Like

Yes, some kinds of manipulation cause SketchUp to abandon the metadata that saved the parameters of the original circle. At that point SU no longer knows that the segments are from a circle (or arc) so techniques that rely on the metadata can’t work. But when all the segments of the original circle are still present, the easiest way is what @RLGL pointed out: draw two diagonals and the center is where they cross. It only takes seconds and doesn’t require any plugins.

And many things only need one edge across and the mid point inference.

thanks all. that is what i have been doing. I turn on “hidden geometry” and draw a line from oppsite sides, find the midpoint, erase the lines and face created. I frequently need to snap to the center of a circle for other things than to draw a line, like rotate. So to perform those other functions, I must draw a centerline to be able to snap to a point. I thought maybe there was a cool way of finding the center reliably. It’s probably poor form to reference Autocad, but you can select what you want to snap to, intersection, end, midpoint, center, etc and it goes there every time. No guessing, no inferencing.

Try X-Ray, find it under Views>face style>xray. It is also in the styles tool bar

Im glad i have been watching this thread. Lots of useful info i did not know about

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.