Charcoal rendering

how can i create such rendering?

1 Like

Not directly in SketchUp but you could probably render a grayscale image and use the lightness value to define what charcoal pattern to use in an image editor.

Have you searched through the many Sketchup styles that others have produced? Almost bound to be one there that comes close.

You need to use Photoshop [or similar tools - like Gimp] to post process images exported from SketchUp…
I’ve attached some PDFs from my archives - these show techniques developed in 2005 [<= SUp v5] !
But these principles still apply…
The Richard Technique.pdf (412.6 KB)
The Dennis Technique.pdf (678.2 KB)
The Overlay Technique_compressed.pdf (361.3 KB)

4 Likes

I think SketchFX does what you want
There are many videos like this on youTube if you want to see what are the possibilities of this plugin

Photoshop is the way to go. SketchFX could work but you’re always going to be somewhat limited by the settings provided by any extension vs the full control you’d have in PS.

Here is quick test with decent result:

Step 1 (optional) - if you have a rendering extension then do a pass with materials overridden and Ambient Occlusion bumped up:

Step 2: Overlay base charcoal texture using layer mask for whole building:

Step 3: Export just shadows and use as mask for additional charcoal texture:

Step 4 - Export edges, with or without extensions, set to multiply, and fade until desired result is achieved:

Lastly, here is layers panel:

3 Likes

Do you have a video tutorial for this?

I don’t but I’m happy to answer questions. In the meantime I’ll add making a video to the ‘to-do’ list :slight_smile:

can i render sections through this extension?

I do not know but I believe so. I do not use this plugin and I have never used it to tell you the truth but I have seen the videos of this plugin on YouTube in TheSketchupEssentials for a long time and I think that for those who want this kind of result it is an essential plugin, especially if you do not work with Photoshop .

On TheSketchupEssentials channel you can find more videos about this (and other) plugin besides the one that I put in the previous comment link.

Another interesting video about this plugin has in the Sketchup channel itself:

Sorry, Just made an section thinking you were asking me about rendering extension (VRAY).

I recommend that you look up Paul Rudolph in the Google image search. He was the one that brought this (hand)rendered style into perfection - also in ink cross-hatching.

1 Like

thank you so much I’ll definitely try this too and get back with a lot of questions

really nice TIG…

I gotta start writing done some of my processes too…

getting old and life is getting tooo complex :slight_smile:

Agreed it’s nice to see some documentation of process as so often we find ourselves repeating what’s been solved or discussed previously.

Also, and maybe this is just me, but as nice as each of those techniques are (the Richard Technique especially)…they still seem to scream at me that they are not hand renderings but 3D models with styles applied in order to masquerade as hand drawings. Call me a purist but I’ve personally made an effort to make SU look as good as it can (via native styles and with rendering plugins), vs trying to force it to be something it very clearly is not.

1 Like

how can i export just the shadows from sketchup?
i am not really good at using photoshop and I’m currently just practing on a compostition of cubes.

Here is simple cube massing like yours. See that I’ve opened both the shadows and styles panels. The shadows I’ve darkened them using the sliders. For the styles, I’ve made sure to turn off the lines, sky, ground, etc.

That’s it. Make sure that you’ve set up a scene first before doing this so that any exports you do are all from the same scenes at the same resolution so they all drop in place in Photoshop later.

I recommend that you add a third export that shows only the faces that are in the shade, not cast shadows. You have to tweak the Monochrome style to achieve that. Then, in Photoshop, you can make the shade layer somewhat lighter than the cast shadows to give a little more life and detail.

That sounds interesting.

i didn’t really understand this. Can you help me with pictures or videos?