Causewayed enclosure

I am trying to create a GE overlay depicting a Neolithic causewayed enclosure on Combe Hill in Sussex England.
The huts are from the warehouse but the barrows are mine. They took me ages to do but at least I have learned something.
Now I need to tackle the ditched enclosure but after producing two concentric circles I got stuck.
Any general advice would be appreciated.
Hopefully the images will appear below:

You need to gives us non neolithic people a bit more info. I’m guessing the brown things are the huts, the white blobs are the barrows and now you want to put some sort of structure where the yellow circle and arc are.
Question is, what sort of structure do you want to make?
If it is just a hump or ditch in a ring form, create a hump/ditch profile and use follow me with a circle to make your shape.
Mound
Or is it different sections at each of the radiating lines around the circle? If so create the object and make a radial array.
Array
These are two very quick gifs to give you an idea of what the difference is and why we need to know more.

Edit: just noticed you are using the web version, although these gifs are done in Pro there is nothing here that can’t be done in the web version, just the tools look a little different.

Wow, thank you Box, the animated gifs convey a huge amount of new information to me. I shall try this out later today. Also, well done for guessing what I am trying to do here. I will provide a bit more detail next time.

I am new to Sketchup but already I can see it’s an incredible tool.

That’s a fascinating project.

Out of interest, were the barrows there circular? Most of the ones I have seen elsewhere (at Sutton Hoo, for example) tend to be oblong.

Sutton Hoo is of course thousands of years younger than this Neolithic camp. The archaeologists describe Combe Hill barrows as a mixture of disc barrows and bowl barrows. Wikipedia shows both in detail. I have drawn only bowl barrows for now but will investigate drawing disc barrows when I gain more experience with Sketchup.

I’ve drawn you a disc barrow for being a sport!

If it’s anything like the real thing, you can just scale it to the size you want.

Disc barrow.skp (737.8 KB)

Ha! very good, thank you.

If you like this archaeology stuff maybe my main project will be of interest. The local archaeological society has recently excavated a medieval village site in Ovingdean Sussex. They have some idea of what the site would have looked like so I have spent time trying to rebuild the village using Sketchup and Google Earth.

This is very much work in progress but the resulting large kmz is in the link below. The main work area is also included.Hog Croft
Root folder

Looks like that is a Windows file and I am on a Mac. Pity because I am interested.

@simoncbevans Hog Croft is a .kmz file and can be imported into sketchup. Many other suitable files can be found in the root folder link.

After @Box’s comment, I have been able to open the files after all. All very interesting.

You have obviously learned how to create Groups/Components. When you become more proficient, you will probably find that virtually everything will end up in grouped geometry with only raw geometry on Layer 0. It gets hard to manage unless you do that.

I liked the smoke coming out of the thatched roofs, although it did look a bit as if the roofs themselves were on fire. Still, I expect that happened a lot though in pre-chimney days!

After a bit more progress I made a short video:
Combe Hill

Cool. I especially liked the one-legged neolithic man and the white M&Ms! Is the broken circle a huge disc barrow? Has the edge of the escarpment fallen away since it was made?

The gaps in the large circle are what the archaeologists call causeways although the enclosure usually forms a complete circle. They claim the structure is for some ritual purpose rather than defensive. This seems odd to me because without the gaps the escarpment edge forms a very good defensive barrier.

However, your question regarding the possible collapse makes sense if the original enclosure was once a full circle.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.