Can't load drawings

Sketch up will open to the main page and allow me to start a drawing. however if I tray an load a drawing from my files it stalls and does not respond.
Using 2017 Pro version

What do you mean by “stalls”? Is the screen just staying white? Open SketchUp. Go to Window>Preferences>OpenGL. Untick Use Fast Feedback. Any change?

Blue circle spinning and (not Responsive) above the menu bar. It sits like that for 30 min before I close it out.
This happens for ANY drawing I try to open even the less complicated ones.

Just for kicks, try disabling Fast Feedback first and see if there’s any change.

Can you share a typical SKP file so we can see what we get when we try to open it?

wont let me uplaod a .skp file here, says only

“Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, skp, layout, pdf, zip, rb, rbz, kml, kmz, style, skm, stl, gcode, dwg, dxf, dae, psd, ai, txt, eps, avi, mp4, mov, sulog).”

Sounds like you are trying to upload the SKB not SKP file. SKP file are allowed.

it is a .skp - gave me the same message as above.

That would imply to me that despite the extension, it isn’t recognized as a SketchUp file. Try uploading it to Drop Box and share the link to it.