Can't find my model, probably from using a faulty component. It's been zoom out to infinity. Please help. It's very urgent

If you have a clue about what component has the astronomical extents (possibly because it is geolocated!) you can select it by locating it in Outliner and deleting it. After that, Zoom Extents ought to work, possibly not at first time. Also, you can select anything in Outliner,right-click and select “Zoom selection”,

1 Like

Man, you learn something new on this forum every day.

Thank you. But I tried everything mentioned above. This work had been done in a very hurry and I can’t really locate the exact group or component causing problem. Outliner checked, zoom selection or zoom extend is doing more harm as I can see the eye height is going farther away. rescue my model extension isn’t working on my 2020 pro version. Finally, I m here to seek help if anyone can do the rescue. Thank you again.

The problem group is this (it’s turn on in second image). One of the objects in that group gives you the error.

You have the dwg plan at a very long distance from the origin, and the building is near the origin, as it should be.
I copied each group one by one into a new file.

tey-06

1 Like

I guess/hope saved by @mihai.s this time.
Best is to save a scene (name it rescue or something) from your model (any future model) near the origin. To return to when needed in cases like this. Making it find the issue a lot easier.

@mihai.s has identified a group that is a major part of the problem because it extends very far (astronomically far) from the origin. There is also a rectangular face with similar issues. Hopefully by following his animations you can repair the group issue. If you still have problems with the model, come back here to follow up.

There are some other issues with the model that suggest it was imported from a file built in CAD.

Tags have been assigned to edges and faces. This is common in CAD but inappropriate in SketchUp because it creates the illusion that the hidden edges and faces won’t interact with visible ones. In SketchUp, groups and components prevent interactions, whereas in CAD objects don’t interact until you make them do so. So in SketchUp tags should only be assigned to groups or components.

What appear to be alternative versions of the same thing are scattered at various large distances from the origin. Non-visible tags prevent these from being seen in the model you shared. Again, this is a common technique in CAD, but is ill-advised in SketchUp because it wasn’t designed to handle things placed far from the model origin. You should group each alternative and use tags to determine which is visible. Then place them all at the model origin. If you align the alternatives at the origin, you can use scenes to switch quickly between them for an effective comparison.

I copied all the groups, except for the 6 components you see in the photo (and they are part of the group I showed you) and I inserted them in a new skp file with Paste in place.

tej-03
Keep in mind the advice from Steve and Wo3Dan.

1 Like

I concur with simoncbevans!!