Can Sketchup keep up?

I would say it’s since 2019, moreover I’m staying as long as possible with 2018, there are bugs, but I’m doing with it. Before, SketchUp was of high quality in terms of stability. Everything you know about SketchUp was defined in SketchUp 4 through 7.1. And the Layout as you know it really exists from version 7.1. What was added next is superfluous.
It was a great memory the new versions between 2 and 3, 4, 6, and 7 and 7.1. It was Christmas for those who knew.

Now that I use Blender, with necessarily extensions, I haven’t noticed any instability yet.
I also have an opinion on the differences between developing on SketchUp and on Blender.

ive been on 2019 until now because it was the last ‘fixed’ layout transparency version for Mac, and 2020 looked like a train wreck so I stayed on 2019.

I had discovered that the 2020 worked well on an old mac, and rowed on a recent and powerful machine.
It seems to me that in 2019 there is a rather annoying bug with the viewports of Layout (which should not be totally fixed in 2020).

2022 is working fairly well (under Rosetta) for me, still get random abrupt bailouts but better,
Layout is a still a dog even using raster but that appears to be inherent in Layouts code (there was a SketchUp team developer comment a few weeks ago about it) but the significant improvements in single thread perf on my M! Max over my previous 8700k are helping. Probably, best for a different thread.

1 Like

I don’t believe it. I am curious to read these comments.

I am excited about another development that I have been starting for a few hours, step by step. In relation to this thread, and without revealing what I’m working on, I can tell you that I’m discovering that there is significant room for improvement with workflow impacts on common existing functions that we use daily. And without making the interface more complex, at least keeping it as a goal.

I am also very excited. I have bought a book about it.
It is in the left drawer of my dressoir.
I will keep you informed.

1 Like

I guess it is the Saab 90 operation manual : )

Here it is something else. It wouldn’t be Layout’s code. On the other hand, what is abnormal is that Layout is not the only graphics application developed on Mac and there are no such known problems elsewhere. For example Affinity Designer is developed on Mac and PC (and developed on Mac according to Apple’s guidelines). Affinity Designer is incredibly fast and stable.
But to come back to Layout, there were several problems depending on the version, there is vector rendering which is challenging anyway, and also snapping which can be a problem, or moving objects and images.

Designer uses Metal API for its vector draw calls and display acceleration.

Layout uses Cocoa.

Really ? Cocoa is for graphics and is not obsolete, even if it is old. Metal is an API for 3D, an equivalent to OpenGL. If that’s true, that’s pretty smart. That said, I must have Cocoa applications that work without problems, if only Notes by Apple

Not necessarily, Metal can handle many 2D/3D raster graphics operations.

1 Like

What’s “Designer” (how does one search with a name like that?)

1 Like

Hello everyone, I would like to make a small and honest comment.

I am an Architect dedicated to the design and rendering of exterior and interior projects. I have been using sketchup for 10 years, I love sketchup and I want to continue using it for the next 10 years.

However, seeing so much development in other software and their capabilities, I would also like my program to have certain really “basic” tools.

I agree to purchase certain paid plugins, many of them meet my needs perfectly, some of which I use in my day to day are:

-Skatter & Transmutr: fundamentals, excellent development.
-Vertex Tools, Subd and Clothwortks: necessary.
-Flextools, Profile Builder, Click Window, Click Cuisine: thank God they exist, they simplify my work enormously.

-Fredocorner: we really need Sketchup to have its own bevel tool, it is an essential feature for any 3D tool to be able to change the characteristics of an object, in a non-destructive way.

-Vray: my main engine, happy with its development, but… this is where my problems come in. As I mentioned, I am a Archviz artist, usually for the interiors of my projects I use high quality furniture, sofas, chairs, beds, decorations, etc.

This is where I need Sketchup to help me better manage the number of polygons without EXPLODING. Of course I am aware that these models are very heavy, but sometimes it is impossible to change the color of a sofa without Sketchup collapsing, very very frustrating.

I need to have more efficient scenes without having to create 1000 proxies that slow down my workflow, specially if I have to change its geometry or its UV mapping later.

I really love Sketchup and it suits me for my work like no other software. What I need is a solid and stable interface, please.

What is your use of bevels?

As SketchUp is designed, it will be a challenge.

As a fairly new member of the Sketchup community, I follow Jason’s comments and the comments of others with interest. I waited awhile to post, as much has been said well by others, and I also learned more about the working of Sketchup by following threads on the posts.
It seems like the reason we are here is because the basic program is an excellent 3D modeling tool. I tend to think that the combination of proprietary and open extensions has created a dynamic format that will continue to adapt and change. I have a debt of gratitude to the programmers who have created so many excellent extensions, but now it’s probably time for some of these features to be included in the program itself. The question about which features to include does lead back to question of brand identity, and instead of an either/ or question, should be resolved by creating a more usable set of tools to improve the drawing experience.
Reading thru the comments, it seems like almost everyone is using Sketchup as an architectural modeling tool. This is certainly my focus, and I don’t want it to become Revit Lite, I just want to see a well integrated tool palette for building design and development.

Good comments, and I fully agree.

We wonder whether the extensions have extended SketchUp (and LayOut) way beyond what was originally intended by the developers.
People are using the software for structural design, detailed architecture & documentation, rendering, animation, etc, when all of that stuff was probably never part of the original design. It’s SKETCHup, after all.

That said, a lot of the marketing and training now places SketchUp Pro firmly in the AEC (architecture, engineering, construction) and rendering fields (now with VRAY). So I think subscribers are right to expect progress in that area.

But you can’t be a professional AEC program without having robust and efficient workflows, which is where your suggestion of incorporating more extensions into the software becomes very valid, I think.
Some of the accepted/promoted workflows for SketchUp architecture modelling (like multiple stacked viewports just to make a hatched section fill) are really a bit worrying to me.

If SketchUp is to remain a “tool of the trade” in that wider AEC space, then pro users I’ve spoken to all seem to want development in in 3 areas:

1. Improved integration with other formats/workflows (like DWG import/export, and geo-referencing systems (while recognising that SKetchUp will exist as part of a Stack …that may include Revit).

2. Improve LayOut (including 2d documentation features like dynamic, vector-hatched section fills).

3. Better quality extensions that are easier to manage and adopted more widely (ie offered as part of a Pack).

If these are not Trimble’s top 3 priorities, then I have to wonder if the developers are really listening to the industry, or if it’s me and my colleagues who are asking for weird requests.

4 Likes

Beautify of sketchup is the modular approach.

Simple (intuitive) core program with lots of powerful extensions, if you want them.

But don’t you think that this solves the problem of ‘bloat’?

Even if the extensions were part of the install pack (like Dynamic Components or Sandbox) a user will add them as needed, just as they do now…
This would be like many modern software platforms, eg Photoshop, where you can change your workspace from “Essentials” to “Typography” or “Web Design” or “Painting”. Then you can add many apps and services to that (via the Creative Cloud). SketchUp still has the “Getting Started” tools…so that doesnt; change.

Having integrated apps/extensions makes things easier for users, because they all work well together (they dont overlap with or replace core tools) and they would have higher standards of usability (icons and menus make sense and feel intuitive).
3rd party extensions are a real mixed bag and take a lot of trial and error for users.

But we can have both - let the 3rd party apps exist, but also have a set of slick “Trimble Approved and Recommended” extensions for particular industries, ones that are nicely integrated, meet higher standards and can be installed (paid for if necessary by pro users) with a single click.
And people could still go totally off-piste and download “community-created” extensions, like Fredo’s tools.
…Or just keep SketchUp Pro simple with the “Getting Started” toolset and nothing else.

3 Likes

It’s a slippery slope Sam. How do they choose which ones to integrate and not have a zillion complaints? Can you imagine the reactions when their desired extensions are not included? And the big one is cost. Look how many complain about cost given how low it is now compared to the competition.

1 Like

SU makes those choices every day when choosing what to develop, what to improve, and what to fix. The question is whether they are making the right choices and establishing priorities that are in sync with the majority of its users.

Again, every developer already wrestles with this. Modularity offers options for different needs and different budgets. Is it a slippery slope? Of course. Innovative, cutting edge companies live on that slope. The ones that miscalculate their core clientele slip away.

2 Likes