Can I create different drafts within a single file?

Hello. I’m a cabinet maker, long-time SketchUp user and I’m new to this forum. When I’m designing a piece of furniture, I will develop and refine it through several drafts. Is there a way to save these different drafts within a single file in SketchUp? For example, if I’m designing a chair, I’ll create a file named “chair designs”, then save each version of the design in the same file. Thanks in advance, Dan.

1 Like

Sure. You can model more than one chair in the model space. I do this sort of thing frequently. I usually end up with the pieces of furniture next to each other so they can be compared.

Here are a couple of examples.

The original design for the table is in the background. A client wondered about a shorter version with leaves. I made a copy of the original table and shortened the components as needed and converted it to a draw leaf top.

My brother was looking for a side table design so I converted the coffee table on the right into the side table on the left.

Reusing or modifying components where possible helps to make the job easier.

2 Likes

And if each chair is a component or group, you can use tags and scenes to control which is visible and to switch between the choices

2 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks for replying and for those great examples. I can see how this works if each draft is a group. I was imagining something more like a row of tabs underneath the toolbar that I could label Draft 1, Draft 2 etc.

You can do that, too. Just tag the groups so you can choose which one is visible in each scene.

1 Like

Thank you. I haven’t used tags and scenes before. I’ll explore them both :slight_smile:

A quick and dirty one…

c1-2

1 Like

Yes, I can see now. Thank you for taking the time to show me. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Here’s an example using a small Shaker-style table designed by Christian Becksvoort. He does the table with square tapered legs or with turned legs. Since the rest of the table is the same, I only swapped out the leg components with tags.
tables

1 Like

Brilliant! Thank you.

1 Like