Can I burn the program to a disk as a backup?

I’m using Sketchtup Make 2017 in Windows 10. I downloaded the program both to my desktop and laptop. I draw in my desktop and transfer the file to the laptop. I’m a hobby woodworker and take the laptop to my shop in order to see the exact measurements to cut the wood. I do not have an internet connection in the shop so the new web version won’t work for me.

Can I burn the program onto a disk so I can install it again if either computer should crash? Is this possible, and permitted? How do I do this? The disk would only be used as a back-up for the program in the event the download is discontinued.

If this is not permitted, can I purchase a back-up disk from Trimble?

Thank you
Elizabeth

Copy the downloaded .exe installer file to a thumbdrive or disk.

Thanks. I’m really dumb about pcs. When I go to program files there is a folder for SketchUp. Do I copy the whole folder?

No.
Go to your Download folder and look for the file you downloaded from Sketchup. Probably called
SketchUpMake-2017-2-2555-90782-en-x64.exe
or similar and copy that somewhere safe.
All you need to do to install it at a later date is to go to that file and right click on it and select Install as Administrator and away you go. The file is small enough to store on a memory card in your phone, or even as an attachment to an email.

Thank you. I’ll look for it. Much appreciated!

@Box has already given you the essential answer: Copy the installer file to a place where you can use it again.

This should work with any downloadable version of SketchUp, but there is an additional twist if you’re a Pro user (which you aren’t, but this should be said for completeness): A Pro license restricts you to installing the software only, at most, two computers simultaneously.

If you have it installed on two computers and one “crashes”, causing you to install it on a third computer (the one replacing the crashed computer), you’ll need to contact SketchUp to remove the crashed computer from their licensing database, otherwise you’ll be able to install on the third machine, but won’t be able to use it because you’ve exceeded the allowable license count!

You can install the software on as many computers as you want, but you can only have two licensed version running concurrently. Just for completeness, and not relevant to anyone using Make.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.