Can 2017 Make read and edit 2020 Pro files?

Hi folks, I have been using pro to model our new house build. I doubt I need 80% of the features Pro has. I do use a couple extensions.
I would like to be able to still access and edit the model made in Pro. I am unclear if 2017 Make will be able to read the Pro file and allow editing. I am also unclear if Make can add and use Extensions. Can anyone confirm?
thanks

Short answer: No. Use Save as… in SU2020 and back save the file to SU2017 so you can open it in that version. If it’s too late, as in your trial period has expired, you could try Open Newer Version, an extension available in the Extension Warehouse.

2017 Make can use many of the available extensions out there.

1 Like

I see your Pro subscription ends in four weeks. That would give you plenty of time to do the Save As to 2017 that Dave mentioned.

You could also run 2017 during that time, and make sure that the files are still working as intended.

Some features, such as Tag Folders (which were called Layers in 2017) don’t exist in 2017.

Thank guy, I was worried installing Make would overwrite my installed Pro. So I can have both versions and they run independently? I installed the new 2022 version assuming it was just and upgrade but I see it didn’t replace my 2020 version.
Next question. Can I still use extensions with Make. Is it correct that Free and Shop are not extension capable?

@DaveR allready told you that SketchUp Make can run extensions. Some extensions only work on SketchUp Pro and some might not be compatible with SketchUp Make but you can find that information on the extension’s web page…
It is correct that SketchUp Free and Shop cannot run extensions.

1 Like

Yes, you can have many versions of SketchUp installed, and they run independently of each other. (There were issues with the 2021 and/or 2022 installers that caused conflicts or confusion at install-time, I don’t recall the details.)

Thanks guys, this clears things up.

One thing to watch out for, the 2017 installer is likely to offer to take over ownership of SketchUp, LayOut, and Style Builder files. If you leave those options checked, double clicking on one of your 2022 files may well directly open 2017. You can work around that by opening the file after you have SketchUp open, from File/Open, instead of double clicking in File Explorer.

Thanks, I will watch for that. I’m guessing that is what I saw the first time I aborted the Make install assuming it was going to overwrite Pro files. At this moment I have Pro 2022, 2021 and Make on the PC. I’ve “saved as” the 2021 file to 2017 and Make seems to have loaded it ok. Just testing it out now.

Would this be countered by installing 2017 before installing the newer version?

Probably. The issue is that each installer sets the registry entries that determine what app to use to open their file type(s), and SketchUp files are all .skp regardless of version.

1 Like

The later installers don’t show an option to take ownership of those files. I don’t know if that means it’s done without your permission, or if SketchUp is trusting Windows to open with the latest version.

I would install them in either order, but uncheck the boxes when installing 2017.

1 Like

Now that I have had time to play with Make I find it slow and gitchy as I did with the Free version. Perhaps this is due to it being web based and not desktop based even though I have FIOS internet. IDK. Although not perfect the Pro reduces enough frustration to pay for another year.

SketchUp Make is not web based. It is a desktop client version just like SketchUp 2020 Pro.

How about sharing your SketchUp model file so we can see what you’ve got going on?

Thanks I will. First I am cleaning up some of my earlier known mistakes. Then I will look up how to share the model file.

Thank you colin, I was worried installing Make would overwrite my installed Pro.

So I can have both versions and they run independently?

I installed the new 2022 version assuming it was just and upgrade but I see it didn’t replace my 2020 version.

Can I still use extensions with Make. Is it correct that Free and Shop are not extension capable?

This question was allready answered 7 days ago, please read the previous posts…

Eneroth Open Newer extension works great in 2017 make I use it frequently, from saved newer file from the warehouse