Layout-bug: Dimensions (from SketchUp) are 'cropped' - depends on position on paper

Already reported may 2018 in topic below - exact same bug still active in v19. Original thread is closed but has a good description of what is the problem and also confirmed by other users.

Already reported may 2018 in topic above - exact same bug still active in v2023. Original thread is closed but has a good description of what is the problem and also confirmed by other users.

Related to this bug maybe? https://forums.sketchup.com/t/layout-bug-rotated-text-cut-off-depends-on-position-on-paper/

Honestly, please fix this ridiculous bug!

Why would you bring sketchup dimensions into Layout? Layout has very capable dimensioning.

Agreed, but this is also a bug with Layout text and dimensions.

In the following screenshot, the dimension text is left aligned and located at the far bottom right corner of an A1 sheet.

Something to do with how far the text is from an origin somewhere top-left…

For working drawings, I need to be 100% sure the dimensions are correct. So I created a custom plugin to create the dimensions in SketchUp while zooming / navigating in 3d. This way I’m sure the dimension is referencing the accurate point in 3d space.

Interesting. What are you making working drawings of? That’s my primary use for LO and do all of my dimensions in LO. I’ve never had a problem with getting correct and precise dimensions.

You can work however you choose in Sketchup. However when you input (draw) geometry sketchup asks for a size in the measurement box, lower left or lower right. Once you input this sizing, SU maintains that size for you until YOU change it by some command.

While drawing you can check a measurement any time with the Tape measure tool.

Guide lines set with the tape measure tool are also useful in construction of drawings,\

And of course Inferencing is an important tool for drawing fast and accurately.

I can not imagine cluttering a drawing with dimension lines. I would think the clutter would cause more drawing errors than might be avoided by those dimensions.
And, as you stated , the import link to Layout becomes a mess.

All good points and I’m aware of those. I put the dimensions on a separate layer and they are only visible in the floor plans and specific details. The reason I do my dimensions in SketchUp is that some points when looked at in 2d from above can consist of multiple points on different Z positions. So XY can be the same but with different Z. Those could mess up the dimensions when just picking from above so thats why I created a plugin for that and I do my dimensioning in 3d in SketchUp. See picture.

THE problem for me though is; this bug that’s described in this and the previous topic (see top post) that cuts off parts of the dimensions depending on the position of the view in LayOut. It would be really nice if that bug could be fixed after 5 years already.

@colin could I ask if this bug (see top post) is on the radar and could be fixed at some point?

It’s an issue that is caused by Windows scaling. Here’s how to fix it.

1. Right click the Sketchup shortcut
  2. Select Properties
  3. Select the Compatibility tab
  4. Click the Change high DPI settings button
  5. Check both check boxes
  6. From the bottom drop down, select System (Enhanced)
  7. Click OK
  8. Click OK again.

Now, launch Sketchup and you’ll be good to go.

3 Likes

This is great @ihaveathumb - I will try this tomorrow at the office.

Any side-affects of doing these settings?

And I guess, since the problem is in Layout, one would have to do these settings in LayOut and not in SketchUp or both?

No side effects that I’ve ever seen. I have do this with a few programs, and I’ve never had an issue. I’m not saying some random program couldn’t have an issue, but I’ve never had one.

Yes, you’ll have to do it to both programs if you use them both. Thankfully, you only have to do it once.

1 Like

Just tested your solution in SU & LO 2022. It seems to do the trick! Thanks for your solution @ihaveathumb

Well, this was the only reason I made an account. So, I’m glad I could help!

And don’t forget how to do this. It’s been a lifesaver for so many programs.

1 Like