Bow saw tooth pattern question

This is a bowsaw from Romania (ca late 1970s…)

Has anyone seen this tooth pattern before ?
Does this look like it was created by hand?

Thanks!

Yes. It looks like it was filed by hand and probably refiled by hand a number of times over the years.

1 Like

Thanks Dave.
How about those odd teeth and blade shape on each end?
Is this common on bow saw teeth? (Wish I could find my Tage Frid book to look at his).

I don’t think it’s common. I expect the blade was made for a longer saw frame or that frame was originally longer. the cross piece and the stick for the Spanish windlass are probably at least the third ones and they clearly aren’t old. It looks like the ends of the blade were cut off and new holes drilled. Over the years as the saw was used and the teeth needed refreshing, they only worked the teeth that were used for cutting. the teeth on the ends are probably original or close to original. Obviously that saw has seen a lot of use.

2 Likes

You’ll usually find that tooth patterns for greenwood are regularly irregular to help clear the ‘wet dust’ from the blade.

2 Likes

True. And that saw hasn’t been used for fine work for a long time.

When saws get old… Do they get short in the tooth? :thinking:

4 Likes

You could also ask Joel Moskowitz, of Tools for Working Wood, in Brooklyn, NY, his opinion about the saw. His company sells a bow saw that’s based on extensive research into old ones. That said, I agree with everything Dave R. had to say.

The teeth are worn but it looks very much like a modern blade we oldtimers here use for cutting firewood
To me it seems the firm that made the blade was not very confident of the quality of their steel so they made the ends broader at the ends where the fixing holes are.

Interesting skip pattern thanks!

Thank you. I didn’t notice as regular a pattern on this one, but I figured as much thanks!

I like that theory thanks!

My guess is that the firm who made the blade made it for a large bandsaw. Someone cut & ground it to fit into a Bow saw blade. Then they cut & filed “new” teeth ( concavely ) but forgot that this back & forth type of saw needed rakers. Those small teeth are a mystery, they will do nothing but cause extra pain for the Sawyer.

I like that theory thanks.
Still no consensus on the small teeth haha…

Very possible it started out life as a large bandsaw blade. I’d like to have a large bandsaw like that.

They probably marked the teeth out to a standard tooth pattern but then used too large a file.

No 6 files were probably not very common in 70’s Romania…