Blueprints for Building Department permits

If you want plans printed to scale, LayOut is the answer. You do need to build the model in SU. The key is setting up scenes in SU for the drawings you want, for example, plans, sections and elevations. LayOut provides a mechanism to recall those scenes (drawings) and set them to any scale you wish on any size paper.
I’ve been using SU for 15 years and am now making serious inroads into LayOut. I have used ACAD forever and have a sweet spot for it, but am determined make the SU/LayOut combo work for me as SU provides a fabulous design tool for client presentation. I use LayOut to do the presentations as well as to develop construction drawings.
It requires a completely different mindset than that of ACAD, so if you’re a cad user be ready to reprogram your brain.
There are many, many techniques to make the process better and easier that I had to learn the hard way (some tips from Nick Wonder for sure helped). I’m doing a large home project right now and I am definitely satisfied with the result, but the learning curve IS somewhat steep. I decided that profit was a bad word so I could get the learning done as a priority.
By the way, I am an architect and take a great deal of pride in my drawings so it’s important they look good and work well. THEY DO! Clients and builders both love them. If you have time to learn, do so. If not, let an experienced pro do them and learn from what you receive.

1 Like

Another option would be to seek out Live Online Tutorials with Interactive Screen-Sharing Chat Sessions for LayOut.

Services like Upworks.com might be a good source to find qualified people available to ramp you off the Learning Curve.

Nino

1 Like

I do that sort of thing frequently, too.

But if you do need brain surgery make sure you don’t use a neurologist. Use a neurosurgeon.

See this thread in the LayOut category:

… and other threads on “permiting”:

1 Like

Another great source is Michael Brightman’s book " The SketchUp Workflow for Architecture" and his ConDoc plugin. He was mentioned above I believe.

I learned by checking out Nick Sonders videos on youtube and recently this years Basecamp presentations. I would buy the book mentioned in this video but I feel like I figured out the key areas to get good docs.

Have to say though, the biggest challenge coming from CAD and BIM world is managing your scenes. It requires careful planning and organization so focus on perfecting Layers, Outliner and Scenes.

Then comes LayOut. Its not the greatest for accuracy so I recommend relying heavily on Scenes from the Model and using LayOut for annotations, dimensions and notes.

Hope that helps give you a direction on what to focus on.

Buying his book can be thought of a nice acknowledgment of the numerous and excellent free knowledge he gave to the SketchUp community…

2 Likes

Good point. I’m sure there is tons more to learn from the book in detail as well. I will ‘eventually’ get the book.

1 Like

Agree! SoCal is going through a learning curve so during the learning process send your SU model to a design/draftsman. Then you can exchange files to monitor progress. BTW, i am somewhat a newbie so while learning I sent my rudiments to a drafts person using AutoC.
I have lots of architectural design build experience but new to SU. I am now seriously addicted to the puzzle of SU. I somewhat miss miss the pencil to paper technique but still doodle…

Cheers and good luck!