Blender Discussion

NP. A bit of history is in order. When I answered questions about Blender on another thread, I was threatened by the moderator to be removed if I didn’t stop mentioning Blender. Another user created this thread to move my comments away from the discussion about the new subscription model.

I frankly don’t care one bit if this turns into a Rhino thread, but since I’m not the OP, I just didn’t want the same to happen to you-- as the OP already did this once.

1 Like

These threads?

So that’s my first time being flagged. I mean I get it, this started as a Blender convo and it definitely has diverged from that.

I did feel like Chips comments about being censored were worth responding too as they are the reason this thread even exists. The SU team is NOT censoring Blender comments (the community is) and this post got flagged by the same community The point here was to show that SU has made a good faith effort NOT to censor talk of other CAD software. :slight_smile:

Let’s get back to the Blender conversation, shall we. Sorry for veering off topic.

This is not I read and heard. I know developments which stop. Notably Abvent stop all their projects, stop to support SketchUp in France, and stop to develop RenderIn.

Not challenging, but “I heard” does not do a whole lot. can you post any sort of link to anything official?

1 Like

That’s why I tagged ThomThom, a while back I’m certain he posted some data, but I can’t find it. I’m hoping he sees the tag and contributes.

Maybe, for some users. I am a pro user, I worked on big detailed project, and fast, I do not use ThomThom’s extensions (I know his valuable work, and I see recently one of his post on Grasshopper forum). I always like to find methods and work with minimal SketchUp with less extension.

On Grasshopper, I do not install extensions, I develop what I need and try to learn all basic components of Grasshopper.

There is many different profiles. If you reduce, by discontinuation the Make version, you reduce the market. We have seen that on training sessions.

I’m with you, I used to use a TON of extensions, and over the years I’ve paired it down to a small set.

That totally makes sense. With my plugins most people assume that they only work for pro and don’t even realize that they work on the free versions. I do get a lot of questions about them working (or not working) on the web versions.

I don’t track pro/free usage on my plugins otherwise I’d put some hard numbers to it. I do think there’s a correlation between people who pay for SketchUp being far more likely to pay for a plugin.

My guess is that the vast majority of SketchUp users (outside of us nerds) don’t use plugins at all.

1 Like

Eric, this is probably true in your business.

I think the forced subscription is not good for extension business (I discuss with a developer following the subscription announcement).

Because, there is a psychological effect. If you rent an apartment you don’t invest on it, because it is not yours.

Put yourself in the place of someone who has bought a license, extensions, possibly in development, in dynamic components, in work. And overnight, everything you invest is locked in with such a license.

1 Like

I post it there to see it later. It is about the amazing real-time render engine in Blender.

1 Like

FYI, I was threatened-- came DIRECTLY from a Trimble moderator:

“you’ll be get (sic) a suspension and if that’s not effective then be banned (sic) Chipp”

3 Likes

As a developer of two paid extensions I’m interested in seeing what lowering the year to year coat of SketchUp will do to my sales.

I am that person for both SketchUp and other software. From both a users perspective and someone who runs a small software company anything that ensures the software I use will still be around and actively developed is a win in my book.

Have you tried or understand the concept of Grasshopper ?

Yes. And for my purposes I’ve found some other parametric solutions that suit my needs

Sketchup need at least history record function implemented then it will be possible for developers to make procedural modeling inside sketchup possible. Procedural modeling will make Sketchup a huge step forward, make repetitive work automatic.

1 Like

There is a huge Cancel/redo history, but you mean probably record a script of actions.
I think it is possible in Ruby extension, but I don’t know if there is a great interest in action. Not to compare to algorithmic modeling.

I discover here how to ring and keep attention from TheOnlyAaron :smiley:

type keywords “not” + “appropriate”

It’s not necessary to push too hard for dev team. Visual scripting tool/algorithem modeling might be the long term goal for Sketchup. Procedural modeling feature is the basic function of most platform,it’s an industry standard/must have feature in my opinion.I can’t find the reason why it never exist in Sketchup. Users will benifit a lot if you can consider it. :grinning:@TheOnlyAaron

1 Like

Visual scripting algorithm modeling is not easy (it is not impossible) to do in SketchUp because of the entities automatic relation, specific and interesting in SketchUp.

1 Like

Hopefully this doesn’t get me flagged :slight_smile:
I’ve fooled around with this, very similar to Grasshopper in ways…

Unfortunately no. Nothing to compare to Grasshopper.

1 Like