Blender Discussion

The ability to get IFC classifier is from SketchUp V6 (since 2005 or 2006).

Because SU6 API give the possibility to get/set meta/custom informations to entities.
This is why there is rendering plugin in SketchUp since this date, with the first one I suppose Podium V1.

So the IFC classifier is not so different as a plugin.

1 Like

API was introduced in version 4.
SU Podium not soon after, I believe I played with it in version 5.
The classifier tool was introduced in version 2014.

API from SketchUp 4 was the very first.

Maybe you are right, but in an official documentation of API 2016, it is specified that AttributeDictionaries are from SketchUp v6. Maybe they were revised in 2006.

Justin, wanted to jump in here for a quick post to compliment you on your tutorials. What I’ve seen so far is really excellent. I have a teaching degree, and am ridiculously opinionated about such things, and you won me over immediately. Nice work, keep it coming…

4 Likes

Thanks very much - I really appreciate it! I try my best to break everything down in a way that’s easy to understand - obviously with varying degrees of success :yum:

1 Like

I have just finished rendering one of my Sketchup models on Blender.
I share it here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Blender 2.83 update (there is also the 2.9 alpha version to test)

1 Like

Ive been using 2.9 for the whole of my 8 week course has been very stable only crashed once (and autosaves every 3 mins anyway) @BYCT. The main problem is most add-ons dont work with 2.9 yet so I have 2.8 running alongside if I need to use Substance, Quixel, Boxcutter or anything else.

On that note ive finally come to the end of my 8 week crash course, its been great and pretty sure I know Blender (for modeling) very well now. I wrote up some words and posted my progress over the past 8 weeks in an article here:

5 Likes

I have dowloaded the last build (17th july) of the 2.90 under development. Unfortunately the interface has bugs on my mac… but it seems that they are improving the User Interface. It is details but very accurate and nice. It is more intuitive and this is a good news !

I am more and more enthusiast about Blender + Rhino Grasshopper…

Hello all,

Kinda late to the party, but I’ve been learning Blender recently as well, deciding to model what I can and use it for learning on some recent projects. I’ve been watching some excellent videos online, many thanks to Grant Abbitt’s tutorials (really got me started), Imphenzia’s 10 minute modeling sessions (in case you are actually hanging onto the idea that SketchUp is somehow faster to model), BlenderGuru and a host of others! I’ve started with and stuck with 2.9.0a - yes the alpha version - and the crashes, but I think as a programmer it is part of the adventure.

In Blender I’ve gone from complete frustration (extrude does what?) – to wow - this is soooo cool (extrude can do WHAT!!). Now that I’ve gotten used to what is where and how to do things, I’m quite impressed. That this is software that is free to operate at this level is just plain amazing. The organic modeling capabilities, and PBR material renderings, the two rendering engines, (I love Eevee) and other things have been fun to learn and get into the details. You can do a lot of damage (to that lonely awesome cube/sphere/plane) in a small amount of time.

Is Blender going places? I think so - check out the “Principled BSDF” shader. That was a gift from Pixar/Disney and is amazing. I’ve purchased the Pro Lighting Skies from Poliigon and made my own materials in several ways as well.

This is not a competition with SketchUp, but of necessity. I’m upgrading to Catalina soon, and SU Make 2017 won’t run. Beyond that, the free Blender does everything I’ve dreamed of, so I am jumping over for better or worse at the end of the month. If I need a simple model or a sketch, maybe I’ll hit web SU, but really there is no point. I’ll spend more money on amazing assets from places like Poliigon (check out the procedural brick/wood/tile renderers) than SketchUp over the long run, so money was not, is not, nor will be the issue for me, and I suspect others as well.

My motto for Blender is now “Simple things seem more complicated than necessary, but what you thought was impossible a few minutes ago is only a click and a few modifiers away from being reality.”

A few models …

This was a sphere, pushed, pulled, extruded, rotated, and … 3 minutes later. It is either a spaceship or a bushing. No clue.

This a racer, or an airvent, or maybe a toy. I learned how to “Rip” and Paint Vertices on this model . HELP!

My new bunker in progress. Supplies, ventilation, and plumbing arriving soon. Maybe an elevator.

This is the same bunker, minus a few walls and with a rougher sandy floor.

Cheers all and thanks for the SU support over the years.

3 Likes

Later on in the thread she claims that producing this was faster than SketchUp or AutoCad!

2 Likes

Well that’s a bold statement and I’d have to act like that I’m from Missouri and she’d have to “show me” that! :wink: Acad and SU are pretty darn fast at doing what they do.

Helicopter work in progress

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you for finding and posting this.

1 Like

PARAMETRIC OBJECTS !

Another good news… Someone ask if Dynamic Component does exist as equivalent in Blender…

This morning I am starting to learn to create parametric objects in Blender. I buy this book : https://www.blender3darchitect.com/blender-2-8-parametric-modeling/

And find this training : https://www.blender3darchitect.com/lesson/lesson-01-understanding-parametric-modeling/parametric-modeling-blender/

There is no add-on needed, everything is yet inside Blender (it is hidden in properties), and it is not constraints (constraints is another feature…).

Nice ! Nice ! Nice…!

Architecture case duties : Blender + Unreal Engine 4

Lol - thanks for the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

And you can tell people to leave, to stop complaining, call their comments “rants,” etc., etc. and no one will flag you because to them these things aren’t rude, they are truthful. People can’t see their own biases.

2 Likes

Eevee the real time render engine is amazing and give nice render in seconds.
I just have found this guide to understand the settings of the engine:

2 Likes