Blank screen when loading model!

I am currently building a model and am having some major issues. When I try to open it I just get a white screen, and the model is unresponsive. I have however built other models which will open and run without any issues at all.
On a previous search on this subject I read about changing the file extension from .skp to .skb or vice versa, and this did solve the issue for about five minutes before the model froze again and I was back to the same issue.
Please help

Device name DESKTOP-9R0VF1Q
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 62317DCE-F262-47C1-B3F1-A7ED39708638
Product ID 00330-75081-71004-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Disk drive has 301GB free
Graphics card is Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600
File size that I’m trying to run is 103,989kb

So a roughly 104 Mb file and anintegrated Intel graphics card. Probably not a great combination. Upload the file to Drop Box or WE Transfer and share the link so we can take a look at the file and help you out.

Hi Dave, thanks for the note. Can you advise an email address so that I can send you the WeTransfer file.

Add the link in a reply here.

Hi Dave, from your message I am now going to get in touch with the guys I bought the PC from (a refurbished unit) to see about upgrading the memory and graphics card. I am thinking that this should help, right?

It might help but it might be something else. Seeing your model would help to determine the issue.

Definitely having a proper graphics card will help but by itself the integrated gpu probably isn’t entirely to blame.

Hopefully this will work: Dropbox - Documents - Simplify your life

That worked. Give me a few minutes to look at it.

Certainly, and thank you. In the mean time I will carry on looking at your Flickr profile, which is pretty impressive I must say.

Thank you.

OK. So your model did open for me although it started out with the camera underneath the model. There is a lot of file bloat which combined with the various plant components is probably the cause of your problems. You also have Shadows turned on along with Profile edges which doesn’t help. I fixed the incorrect tag usage. That might have come from components you’ve collected from the 3D Warehouse.
Screenshot - 1_20_2022 , 9_11_19 AM

And I purged unused stuff from the file.
Screenshot - 1_20_2022 , 9_12_05 AM
This reduced the file size by about 30%.

I turned off Shadows and Profiles as well as setting the face style to Monochrome so textures aren’t displayed (they add to the load for the GPU so working with them not displayed is useful.

Here’s the purged file. See if this one opens more easily.

FWIW, you could do some things to improve the file efficiency. I’m guessing that the cars aren’t the reason for your model. If that’s true, I think you could stand to replace them with simpler cars that haven’t got interiors and detailed undercarriage. This is a nice Audi component but unless your project is about this car, it’s way too detailed for the application.

After deleting and purging the cars and their overhead from the model the file size is about 42% smaller. That’s a pretty substantial decrease.

Thank you ever so much, I now have a file that I can open and hopefully work with again. I did not realise that the cars were so detailed, and hence made the file so large. You are correct, this is an assignment for a garden design course, and so the cars are to represent what the property owners may have sat on the driveway. I will however be deleting these items. I am also looking into upgrading the graphics card.

Thanks again.

1 Like

After deleting the cars and anything else you don’t really need in the model, go to Window>Model Info>Statistics and click on Purge Unused. Simply deleting components from the model doesn’t get rid of them completely.

You can probably find more suitable car components in the 3D Warehouse but pay attention to their file size before adding them to your model.

Good luck with the assignment.

For the car model, one thing you can do is search in 3D Warehouse and use the sliders on the left side of the window. Here is a search for Audi A4 with the polygons set to 0 - 6k:

That Tuned Audi A4 is about 1/10th of the size of the one in your model. It does lack any interior modeling, but should look good enough from the outside.

Thank you, I am learning a lot here.