Best roof creation practices from plan view (blueprint)

I think this might be the approach I would take with such a complex roof. You could divide them into four parts: the main block running side to side, the two outer wings, and the porch-like projection in the centre.

If you make each a group, you can use Solid Tools to join them together. Then you can just tweak the remaining bits, like the hip that oversails the lower eaves.

The point of this is that you start with very simple elements that are easy to construct and so are unlikely to have errors creeping in such as you encountered.

1 Like

@ Anssi Wow, that came out great! I which I could peek at your modeling method.
I tried one more time the follow-me tool path with poorer results than the first attempt. This time I expanded the second plate level area and also used larger follow me shapes to try and fix the issues created in the upper right side of the roof the first time around. The result was chaotic, take a look:

SS 2021-06-05 at 10.03.21 AM

Looks like you’re making it much too hard. Here’s an example of my way. I haven’t totally reproduced your roof but I am demonstrating the principle that can easily be extended to do what you want. I start with four Groups that are proper solids. Move them together then apply Solid Tools>Union.

ROOF

2 Likes

Click in sequence on the Scenes Tabs of this SU file for an illustration of a brute force method that yields correct roof panels, all with the proper slope.

ROOF-TEST JL 1.skp (136.3 KB)

I think I finally got a system in place I can replicate to other house models and share with the community. I’ll confirm once I get new models in the works and provide new tips as I perfect the process. Here is what finally got it working for me:

Identify all the ridges (the top horizontal lines of the roof plan) as shown highlighted in blue in the first few seconds of the below video. One ridge at a time creates a rectangle where the ridge is at the center. Create the roof shape using the follow-me tool as shown:

SS 2021-06-05 at 1.07.26 PM

Finally, move up the roof shapes to the corresponding plate heights, expand all groups, intersect all faces, and clean.

Click in sequence on the Scenes Tabs of this SU file for more ideas.

ROOF-TEST JL 2.skp (147.2 KB)

And see also this file showing the difference when the face to be used by the Follow me Tool on a rectangle is positioned on the long or the short side

ROOF-TEST JL 3.skp (597.0 KB)

And finally, one showing the use of Autofold.

ROOF-TEST JL 4.skp (599.2 KB)

The complex (rafter) roof module does have one caveat. The gutter line all the way around the complex roof must be on the same level. I haven’t yet added logic to deal with the more general case where gutter lines may vary in height around the perimeter of a single roof.

In the case of the roof shown it appears that the gutter line is not the same height all the way around the roof.

1 Like

I think the approach for working with Medeek Roof for multi plate height situations is much the same @simoncbevans’ native tools solution; model each roof with a different plate height as a separate “chunk”, and then integrate them.

I recently used the roof truss extension for a garage addition to an existing house where one roof plane had to match an existing roof plane (which was modeled with native tools). At first I thought, “How the heck am I going to figure out what the plate height is for the wall to make that happen?” The answer was simple: Build the roof on top of the sill plates, then lift the whole assembly constrained vertically until the new roof plane met the existing. Then the tape measure tool measured from sill plate to bottom of rafter, and there’s the answer to the question what’s the wall height required.

Building the roof “chunk” in Medeek truss is one thing, but mashing them together is a lot more involved than just native solid tools. Medeek is really a tool for Construction Documents, and given your goal is Archvis not Construction Docs, I’d still vote for @simoncbevans solution as the answer.

2 Likes

Looks like I’m jumping in real late but here’s what I do. Simply stated I build each section of roof.separately…

Each section is then grouped so they can be shifted left, right up or down without disturbing everything else.

Move stuff around so they are properly related. Once you get everything in order explode those groups that you may need to, but always regroup them.

A good thing to know is that the protractor can also accept slopes such as 6:12 as well as angles.

Look at my YouTube video, PROPER ROOFS for a brief example of how to properly construct roofs in general.

Sorry if all of this has been already covered.

1 Like

This seems to be the consensus here for building roofs like this natively. Put the parts together after you get each one built.

As for as I’m concerned Vali Instant roof is the best tool. I use it everyday. And if it’s to complicated. Just make the primitives and clean it up.
I also use the Sonder method which great if you want to stick with native tools.

1 Like