Best practice to keep dimensions and leaders connected

Raised floorbed V3.skp (6.3 MB)
I’m getting a bit frustrated. I’m trying to work as neatly as i can but it looks like every time i ad a scene to my sketchup model and/ or a tag, and update the model reference in LO. Almost
al of the dimensions are red.

Annybody have a clue what i am doing wrong here?
Raised floorbed V3.layout (11.8 MB)

1 Like

I’m pretty sure there was something about red dimensions in the LO Essentials on learn.sketchup.com

Not sure if that’s any help as I’m only new to LO myself.

Dimensions that are attached to vertices (endpoints, midpoints) have a Unique Identifier. When altering geometry, don’t delete but try to edit the existing(eg not deleting and creating new.
Some extensions alter or add info on geometry, they work with ‘observers’ that continuously are on the lookout for changes in the model and might have an impact on those Unique Identifiers.
Disabling them (and that would need a restart of SketchUp) will reduce the number of red dimensions.

Drag select all dimensions, rightclick and choose reconnect should reconnect multiple, but sometimes not all.

We talked about this in a previous post. If you change something in your model that results in the persistent ID’s of the end points getting changes, things will disconnect. You can often reconnect those things. Sometimes, however, if the dimension isn’t actually anchored to the endpoints in the model, they won’t reconnect. I see that in some of your viewports. The viewports are rendered in Raster which results in the edges being displayed rather roughly. That can make it difficult to find the actual endpoints when dimensioning.

I also see that many of your viewports show the Camera has been modified for the scene. As we discussed before, that’s not a good idea when you are going back and forth between the model and LO because you are still making changes. Remember that changes made to scene properties in LO override those scene properties in the SketchUp model.

There’s some other things I see with your project. I’ll work on them and be back.

1 Like

Take a look at the attached file. I’ve cleaned up the SketchUp model a bit. Fixed incorrect tag usage and purged unused stuff from the model.
Screenshot - 6_6_2021 , 6_04_48 AM

Screenshot - 6_6_2021 , 6_05_04 AM

I see in your model that you’ve applied materials to component containers instead of the faces inside. I didn’t fix that but best practice would be to paint the faces not the containers. I also see some unneeded nesting of components but I didn’t change that either.

As you look through the pages notice that none of the viewports show any Reset buttons in the SketchUp Model panel. This means that changes you might make to the scene properties in SketchUp will update the viewports in the LayOut file. All of the dimensions and labels are actually connected to the model and should remain connected unless you edit the model in a way that removes the Persistent IDs for the endpoints.

I reduced the number of scenes you need in SketchUp that still allow you to get the job done and yet not require modifying the Camera properties in LO. I did add scenes for the plan and elevation views of the planter but I eliminated unneeded scenes for the 2D views of the parts. I have the viewports rendering as Hybrid. That will make better looking viewports, make it easier to find endpoints for dimensions and such and result in a nicer looking PDF file when you get to that point. The flip side is that LO will take longer to update those viewports than if they were Raster or Vector. Personally if this was my project I would probably not show textures in most of the viewports. I might render as Vector which would show the textures as a flat brown color or I would choose the Hidden Line face style and render as Vector so it would be just black lines and the white of the paper which would be cheaper and faster to print.

I took the liberty of moving your last page to the front to show the pretty picture of the planter and giving that page a title. Compare the Layers panel between the front page and the next one.

Backup of Raised floorbed V3 dr.layout (11.4 MB)

It’s also important to note that this LO file does not reference the .skp file nor the .csv file you have on your computer. It now references the embedded ones. If you wish to look at the embedded SketchUp model, right click on a viewport and choose Open with SketchUp. If you want to replace your original .skp file with this one, use Save as… to save this .skp file as that one. Then in LO under File>Document Setup>References, select the SketchUp file and choose Relink. Select the file you just saved and let it update as you go through the pages in the document.

One more detail: That large-leafed plant and the one in the corner in the model needed a little fixing. If you dig into them you’ll see the edges of the faces for the leaves have been softened. Rendering as Hybrid results in those edges being displayed in the viewport.

Screenshot - 6_6_2021 , 8_09_57 AM

It’s a simple matter of getting into a leaf component in each plant, unsoftening the edges and hiding them instead.

1 Like

Hello Dave,

I can not thank you enough for taking the time to examine the files. Step by step i’m learning better where to look for and keep my eye out to work efficient and teight. (The reset buton for example).

Most of what you recommend I’ll add to my go-to procedures.

I see now what you meen by the views for the parts. After your first comments i started off with all the parts in a view. But then i tried to place a single view in my LO and a thought, that’s not handy. So than i made a view for every part. Your way, make a single view with all the parts and just crop, crop crop is much much better. As Johan Cruijf said, you don’t understand it until you get it. :slight_smile: .

You also mention that colloring the faces is best practice? Can you give me some more background on that?

Do you work in some version? Sketchup mentioned that the file you created was with a newer version of sketchup but a update-check told me i had the latest version?

I’m ashamed to say that during the day i realized something. In my learning proces i found it annoying that every time i created a tag, this tag was visible in all my scenes and i had to hide them, and update the scenes. I thought i was clever so i installed an extension that “fixed” this problem.

Auto-Invisible Layer

I did some thinking as well and a little testing. Turns out, i created a scene and a tag in “your” file (after saving , replacing and reconnecting. And what do you think?

All detached!

I’m pretty sure this extension is at the root of most of my detachment problems. I’ll de-install it straightaway.

My idea now is to make a template with a lot of scenes and tags already in there for future projects. What do you think? Is this the best way to prevent creating new tags that you have to hide in all the scenes that you already have created? How do you handle this problem? Or is there another flaw in my procedures?

1 Like

‘Je gaat het pas zien als je het door hebt.’ Das toch logisch.

1 Like