Benchmark for SketchUp

SU Pro 2023 benchmark

su_bench_2-17-23

Was there some optimization in '23? In SU '22 I was in the mid to high 30’s FPS

oh wow, on my PC, it used to be a consistent 30.

Now, first time gives 57, then next times gives 80+

I left is rest a minute, went to firefox, then came back, same again, 57 then 80. definitively some optimisation here, it remembers and don’t need to rerender the animation again maybe ?

I have an i5 11400 at 2.7 GHz, 32 gb RAM and a 3050 RTX. same hardware immediately before and after.

Back home, I finally checked on the mac mini m1, it used to be a consistant 60, it is now a consistant 60 fps

Seems the PC version got more efficient.

I send you my test. it seems to me that it works very well.

It’s been a while since a reply here. I happened to be doing a test in Parallels. Disclaimer, this does not mean Parallels is suddenly a supported platform! But, it does happen to work well.

In this crazy test I run the benchmark with SketchUp, a non-ARM app, running in an ARM version of Windows 11, inside a Windows software emulator, on an M3 Mac. That’s two or three levels of emulating going on.

And I was screen recording as well, which could also affect performance. Here’s what I got:

3 Likes

Here is what I got on my System:

BaseBoard Product = ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
Processor = Intel(R) Core™ i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) = 64.0 GB
GPU = Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
OS Name = Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SketchUp Team or anyone else: Do you know if anyone has ever done an exhaustive detailed experimentation and analysis on what are the optimal settings for fastest overall performance for both SketchUp and Layout?

Particularly within:

1. Motherboard Setting Options (Hyper-Threading, Virtualization, Speed Step, Turbo Mode…)
  2. Windows OS settings (Virtual Memory, Visual Effect…)
  3. Nvidia Control Panel Settings (Image Scaling, Antialiasing, Texture Filtering, Threaded optimizations…)
  4. SketchUp/Layout Settings (Multisample anti-aliasing, use fast feedback…)

I know each individual system will have significant variations such as someone with 64GB of RAM vs someone with 4GB will have drastically different needs regarding Virtual Memory. But some general guidance on what settings on average tend to speed up or slow down performance would be great.

With systems becoming more powerful, we might need a new more complex standard test model that will highlight the differences between the setting options.

Lastly, it would be great to come up with a benchmark model/tool for Layout as well if it does not exist already.

Thanks

1 Like

This all really interesting. Ive been following colin for a while and like all the information, it has been a big help. Ive been of the opinion its not my computer. Its a Surface Studio 2 I7 16gb Ram Nvidia gtx 1060
Screenshot 2024-02-24 104036

Ive been working with settings for working and settings for final output in both Sketchup and Layout. I need a stragity to switch easily to produce the best quality drawings. Then to easily go back to working settings. I get a LOT of program not responding screen time. The SU team could possibly do a video going over settings and affects.

Laptop: Acer - Predator Triton 17 X Gaming Laptop
CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900HX
RAM: DDR5 64GB
GPU: GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU 16GB

I think you should be better off using styles for that…

Thank you. I made some time to do a little testing. I had gone away from stacked view ports but i found that multipal view ports of the same thing and assigning them to layers and styles dont increase the file size hardly at all and switching between the layers is fast. So that what I know so far. But this is probably a discussion for a different thread.

1 Like

Screenshot_3

Dell XPS 8950 Desktop
i9-12900K
64gb ram
RTX 3080

1 Like

So, SketchUp 2024 has better graphics engine.

Perhaps it will give me good results?

@MikeWayzovski
What happened to the google sheet?

1 Like

On a M1 mac mini 16gb, it used to be 60fps in SU23, and up to 118 when removing shadows and profiles.
I ran the test a few times, and got a steady 200-220 fps with SU24

a small speedbump.
Capture d’écran 2024-04-11 à 22.53.01

1 Like

You must have heck of a machine :laughing:

I lost access to that sheet, since I no longer work there…

on my PC, i5 2,7Ghz, 3050RTX and 32Gb Ram, it went from 80 to 113

looks like the bump Metal created is more consequent than directX12

that, plus the fact that M1 chips can technically run up to 3.2Ghz (3.5 for M2 and 4.05 for M3)
on a monothread app, +0,5GHz do matter

Ah!

We need to start a new one :wink:

Yes!
One that tests a few more things would be good.

Originally, I had set this up for the support team to get some insights on different machines.
Since I no longer work for the Benelux Distributor, you might as well take it over:)

SketchUp 2024, 4K monitor, shadows on: