Beginner: How do I get the Default Tray?

This is how I used to setup SketchUp before SU2016 and the introduction of trays.

By making the drawing window a little narrower than the screen, I could keep the utility windows open on the right without covering the model window.

catamountain: No, I have NOTHING on the right edge.

No, nothing on the right edge.

Go to the Window menu and click on the items you would like - Entity Info, Styles, Shadows, etc.

OK, I’ve got several up there, and they do stick together, but there is no “Default Tray”, they are windows.

There is no trays - so no default tray - in SU 15. That started with SU16.

Is SU16 an online-only program, or is there a DL version?

The free version of SU17, called SketchUp Make 2017, is still available from the SketchUp site. The hardware requirements are more demanding though, namely it requires a graphics card that fully support OpenGL 3.0 and 64 bit…

Don’t uninstall SU15 until you know if SU17 Make will work on your machine.

1 Like

Wow, I did not think there was an SU-2017 that wasn’t on-line! Thanks so much.

I’ve installed SU-2017, ans SU-2015 is still available. I checked for the Graphics card compatibility, and all seems fine. … and, of course, I’ve got that pesky Default Tray in SU-2017!

Hi I used to have the pin icon on my default tray so I can pin and unpin the tray but mysteriously disappeared.
Can someone guide me how to put back the pin icon so I can just hide the tray on the right side of my monitor. thanks

Look in your “Window” menu. Do you see “Default Tray” there? My SU2017 does. You should be able to get your tray back from there.

Arranging dialog boxes and trays.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
I am able to open my default tray, it’s just that the “pin” icon beside the “X” mark is not showing anymore.

The top of the tray should be aligned with the top edge of the model space. Yours isn’t. The tray isn’t docked which is why the pin is not displayed. Double click on the blue bar next to “Default Tray” and it should re-dock itself.

3 Likes

Oh Great!! I double clicked and pin showed up!! Thanks!

I have a mac book pro and 2017 make and it does not have a default tray in windows? what am i doing wrong?

There’s no Default tray in the Mac interface. There’s no tray at all. You can open the individual windows and stack them together though.

2 Likes

Hi DaveR, What do you mean by “opening individual windows and stacking them?” I am a new user and at school we have Sketchup for PCs. I am using Sketchup Make 2017 for Mac at home and am lost without that default tray! I cannot keep track of my components, for instance. Thanks!

I set up SketchUp on my Mac like this.

Clicking on the title bars of the windows will open. clicking on them again will scroll them up again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.