Auto size window in LO

When you import a SU scene into LO, you generally have to fiddle around with the window to get its size right. I wouldn’t want to lose the ability to edit the window size but it would be handy if the default was to show all geometry visible within the SU scene and no more. Would that be possible?

I can think of a couple of options. You could create a dummy model to add to your template and set the viewport to the size and shape you want. Instead of using Send to LayOut or Insert, relink the reference changing the reference to your project file. As long as your model fits within the space of that viewport, it’ll show. You can always adjust it later but that should get it close.

If you adjust the model space in SketchUp so its aspect ratio matches that of the paper in your project, it should just be automatic when you send to LayOut.

I may not have explained myself well or I may not understand your solutions.

I attach two screenshots. One shows something that you might get when you import the scene. The other shows what I am after (a tighter window). If I changed the scale, I would expect the window size to change automatically to suit.

How do you change the aspect ratio of SU model space? I generally work on A3 or A4 paper so the aspect ration would always be the same.

Drag the edges of the model window. If you want it to have the same aspect ratio as the paper (or close to it) draw a rectangle the size of the A3 paper. Then drag the edges of the window to tightly fit around it.

In the case of your vertical model, you could make the model window more tightly fit the model.

I think I’m still failing to explain myself!

When you type text into LO, you can choose Size to Fit and the box around it will adjust automatically to suit the text. What I was trying (so badly) to get at was something similar for imported windows, except that the blue enclosing rectangle would automatically size to fit. That’s what I tried to show in my first image. What you actually get when you have SU page set to A3 landscape and you Zoom Extents is more like the lower image, with some white space above and below and lots on both sides.

It’s not a big deal to have to adjust the window size but it’s another thing in the workflow that it would be nice not to have to do every time.

I was only trying to give you some options you could employ right now. Sorry.

No reason to be sorry, Dave. You were just trying to help and I was explaining things badly!

It would be fantastic to have a “zoom extents” control for a viewport from within layout rather than the cumbersome dragging of edges and repositioning of the entire viewport. This wished-for setting could also have a third option to “zoom viewport” which would adjust the viewport bounds around the model in paper space. I would love to see these options as check boxes attached to each viewport, perhaps via right click.

My personal layout template has viewports already corresponding to my Sketchup template scenes, if those viewports were set to auto zoom extents, better yet auto center retaining scale, then I could send a model to layout and print, done.

I think I understand what you are saying. You want the “boxes” all the same size and you want your scene to fit into each of these same sized boxes, is that right?

Not quite. What I would like is for the blue border of the window to auto-detect the furthest bounds of geometry being displayed so that it is as tight to the geometry as can be. It doesn’t matter what size the window is. Indeed, if I changed scale, I would want the system to recognize and automatically respond to it by adjusting the blue border accordingly.

I appreciate that this might be harder to achieve in coding terms than it is to imagine. But if it worked the way I conceive, you would almost never need to to alter the size of the blue box. You would sometimes so I wouldn’t want to lose that facility. If I could wave a magic wand, every time I import a SU scene, the bounding box would be tight to the geometry. Usually you have to change the scale to something standard. Again, the box would auto adjust. But the ability to manually adjust would remain and that would only be cancelled if you change the scale.

This is obviously not as easy to explain as I imagined, though @endlessfix seems to have understood me!

1 Like

I understand what you are saying now, but can’t think of a work around at the moment. If I may ask, what would bring able to do this accomplish for what you use SketchUp for? Now I’m intrigued!

I’m beginning to wish I never started this!

My typical LO drawing would consist of a number of windows, text, dimensions, and maybe some LO geometry. When you set up a page to make it easy to read, you often have to move things around. Quite often I go to move a block of text, say, and instead find I have picked up and moved a window. It’s easy to correct, I admit. It’s also easy to avoid if you have all windows on their own layer (as I do) and you lock the layer. But it still seems to happen enough to make me grind my teeth!

But hey, maybe I’m too easily annoyed. The omission of a dedicated copy command is also something that annoys me and that I have banged on about too much in the past!

I completely understand what you mean. To prevent that from happening I lock everything by default after a scene is all set up. (sometimes all the boxes and images inside) and only unlock them if I need to fetch something from there. I’ve no doubt moved scenes when I was just trying to borrow a section cut. We understand!!

As for copy, cntrl + C works for me?

I’m going to try something someone just suggested to me. I’m going to create visible borders to my viewports so that it is easier to know where they are. I’ll see if that does the trick. I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the problem is that LO has a preference for selecting a window over something else, like text, when they overlap. That could be another reason for picking one thing when you meant to pick something else.

The Select tool in LO will tend to pick whatever is in front.

I think that’s a great idea. Sometimes the view ports are huge, especially if you weren’t zoomed in on the object in SketchUp, it brings over the rest of that space, and over lap and even extend beyond the page. I would make you shape, color the border, click into it and go to zoom extents, and then make sure the “dont scale object” (I’m not in front of my computer so I don’t know if that’s really what it says), but you can stretch the box and the model will go with it, therefore not creating any more white space if you decide to adjust the size.

LO does have zoom extents!

It’s an interesting request.

That would be good for certain things, but I wonder how it would work for geometry which has parts that are actually larger than the viewport but the scene only shows a certain part of it.
Surely there has to be an amount of human judgement still involved.

1 Like

It does if you open the viewport to access the camera however opening the viewport results in modifying the scene which breaks the link from the SketchUp model and can create all sorts of mess. Better to use Zoom Extents or Zoom Selection in SketchUp to fill the model space as needed and create or update the scene with that view. Then you don’t need to click into the viewport at all.

Ok I got it!! If, in your SU model, you “zoom extents” of each scene or view you want in LO, and don’t make a box in LO first, just insert the model, the blue box will be the exact size of the image! You can adjust the size from there. I don’t think I can attach a video in here, but that method works. If you decide you want a box for presentation purposes, you can add it later