As my School's G Suite for Education IT Administrator, how do I deploy SketchUp for Schools?

SketchUp for Schools is integrated with Google’s G Suite for Education and is accessed through the G Suite Marketplace.

As your School’s administrator, you will need to install SketchUp for Schools before students and teachers will be able to launch the application. Once installed, the SketchUp for Schools icon will appear in the Google navigation menu (at the top right of Gmail) and can be launched directly from there.

No luck so far. We get the following error:

The user is not authorized to use edu.SketchUp. To use edu.SketchUp you must meet the following criteria:

You must use a G Suite for Education Google account not associated with a university or other post-secondary educational institution.
You must have the SketchUp app installed from the G Suite Marketplace by your school’s administrator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey Ryan,

Can you confirm that 1) You have IT admin rights for your school’s G Suite for EDU domain and 2) what browser you are using to access SketchUp for Schools?

Thanks!
-Joy

Hi Joy,

1. Yes we used a super admin account to enable the application for users. It says ‘On For Everyone’.

2. We are using Chrome browser Version 58.0.3029.110. The issue is the same on a ChromeBook, Mac or PC.

The issue seems to affect all of our user groups, including super admin.

Thank you for the help!

Same issue with our domain. I tried deploying as a ChromeOS app (preferred method), no go. Tried again as a deployed marketplace app, even went the extra step of whitelisting the app separately, verified it has access to “view your installed application’s licensing information”, and verified we definitely have G Suite for Education (not business, etc). We get the same error on PC and Chromebooks.

(We are a K12, not university+, and I am a super admin.)

Thanks Ryan & jds for the additional info; that’s helpful for us. We’re going to look into it on our end, and I’ll get back to you once we have a better idea of what might be happening. Thanks for your patience!

I have the same issues as above.

Hi @RHertzing, @jds, and @sylviev,

I am currently looking into the login issues on SketchUp for Schools and was wondering if the Google Classrooms app has been turned “Off” for your G Suite domain? The status of Google Classroom can be found under “Apps” > “G Suite” > “Classroom” from the Google Admin homepage.

If the Google Classroom app is set to “Off” does changing it to “On for everyone” (or the same status as SketchUp for Schools) allow you to log in to SketchUp for Schools?

Thanks,
–Will

Google Classroom is on for everyone.

That rules out the simplest case. Could you first please trying to clear your cookies and see if that remedies the problem? If that doesn’t work could you please send us an email including (1) the G Suite email address you are using to login and (2) the console log and network requests when you try to login? This should give us a better idea about specifically what is going wrong when you try to login.

Please note that your current Google session token will be included in network logs that you send to me so I recommend logging out of Google after performing the steps below.

Follow these steps to view failed web requests and save the console log for Google Chrome:

1. Navigate to SketchUp for Schools
  2. Open the Developer Tools panel by selecting from the menu bar “View” > “Developer” > “Developer Tools”
  3. Select the “Network” tab on the Developer Tools panel
  4. Reload the page and try to log in again
  5. Right-click on any row in the requests table and select “Save as HAR with Content”
  6. Save the log and attach it to your email to me
  7. Select the “Console” tab on the Developer Tools panel
  8. Right-click anywhere on the messages in the “Console” tab and select “Save as…”
  9. Save the log and attach it to your email to me

Follow these steps to view failed web requests and the console in Mozilla Firefox:

1. Navigate to SketchUp for Schools
  2. Open the developer tools panel by selecting from the menu bar “Tools” > “Web Developer” > “Network”
  3. Reload the page and try to log in again
  4. Right-click on any row in the requests table and select “Save All as HAR”
  5. Save the log and attach it to your email to me
  6. Select the “Console” tab on the developer tools panel
  7. Right-click anywhere on the messages in the “Console” tab and select “Select All”
  8. Right-click anywhere on the messages in the “Console” tab again and select “Copy”
  9. Paste the text into your email to me

Thanks for your patience in troubleshooting this problem,
–Will

Hi Will,

I was unsure of your direct email, but I wanted to provide you these trace
files for an issue with SketchUp failing to load. Happy to provide further
data if needed.

Thanks for helping!

Ryan

The same problem.

1. Super admin
  2. GSuite for education (non university)
  3. SketchUp app installed from G Suite Marketplace & “on” for everyone
  4. Chrome Browser Version 58.0.3029.110

Thanks
Bregt

Chiming in as well - same problem for us.

1. Super admin
  2. G Suite for education (non university)
  3. SketchUp app installed from G Suite Marketplace & “on” for everyone
  4. latest Chrome Browser Version

For administrators whose G Suite domains meet the criteria to use SketchUp for Schools but still receive an “Unauthorized Account” error: please ensure that Google Classroom is enabled and that Google Classroom data access is allowed.

Why: SketchUp for Schools uses Google Classroom to ensure that users are associated with a K-12 institution and not a business or enterprise Google domain. While Google Classroom must be enabled for SketchUp for Schools to operate properly, it does not need to be used as your LMS.

Please note that by enabling Google Classroom data access any application or website which uses Google authentication may request access to Classroom. If Classroom is the primary LMS for your domain the data accessible pertains to assignments, class rosters, coursework, and guardian information within Classroom. However, access to each must be explicitly requested by every application or website.

As SketchUp for Schools is in beta, this is the current workaround for K-12 schools that are receiving an “Unauthorized Account” error. Students’ personally identifiable information (PII) is still secure when Classroom data access is enabled, but we will continue to investigate alternative solutions.

1 Like

Unfortunately, We also have Google Classroom enabled & data access = allowed.

Any other solution?

you can alternatively use the free SketchUp Make offline-version f. Windows & macOS from your local system.

It works now!

How did it start working?