Architects/Design Builders

I use it like this. As a graphic designer who creates physical experiences at events. From stage construction to booth design, interior design, and so much more. I even use it to generate the graphics sometimes that we use in multimedia.

No books. Started when I found about Layout and that Section Cut Face was able to generate section fills, that I could then hatch with textures.

I’m using that method since then.

1 Like

I certainly will consider other products that are common in the Archi industry here in Australia: Archicad most likely.

…just youtube (like Nick Sonders interviews) , SU`s digital publications (like Aarons quick win lessons, recordings from basecamp, firechat,…)

As what others have mentioned, for me the Michael Brightman SU > LO videos were very helpful, the SketchUp Doh book… and working out my own here and there.

e.g. given the (severe) problems of tag overrides in LO, I think I’m down to just one hybrid viewport to achieve 3 lineweights using tag overrides for my 2D objects for plans (still working on how I can effectively used tag overrides with elevations).

It does mean I’ve had to tweak how I produce and locate 2D objects in SU for doors and windows.

We use either AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT.

1 Like

I’am using SU since 2008 for al lot of works. There a lot of other programs with an SKP import (IDA ICE for the whole building simulation) or nice extension like designPH for passiv house planning. I think this is good stuff to make an architect better for future projects. The studio version with Sefaira is something that could be better and not only passed to American users, but SU is an great 3D Software and help me to be faster an better in the daily work.

I haven’t heard of that. An extension for SketchUp?

Yup. The extension is developed by the Passive House Institute as the 3D interface for the PHPP (Passive House Planning Package).

Website here:

https://designph.org

1 Like

Yes, this is perfect a perfect tool for early stage building optimization and it works without any problems. You can build about 50 different variants of your building an compare it easily. After you find your best practice you can export the data to an ppp File an import it to PHPP 9 or to PHPP 8. Proof it by your own and there are a few videos in the web for more information.
good luck and funny work

I was an AutoCAD LT user for years…then saw a presentation by Nick Sonder, Architect. We’re now using SU-to-LO, start to finish. Learned the system from the Nick Sonder/Matt Donley Book on MasterSketchup.com https://sketchupbook.com.
Full building Permit Documentation with 3D Elevations, Sections, and Details. The 3D Model is very useful for all interested (Architect, Client, Engineer, Contractors). SU/LO has its shortcomings, but is more manageable and applicable to the Custom Residential and Commercial projects that I design than the 600# Gorilla that is AutoDesk/Revit. (I too don’t care for the “new” subscription annual pricing forcing annual subscription, update, and new methods/tools [learning curve] for small office/sole proprietor).

1 Like

My use of SketchUp + Layout

Note : first Layout beta on 2006

Thanks for the reply Ken (my middle name),

That is especially what I was looking for, and especially appreciate your sharing your path to SU/LO.

PM

Nice chart. How??

What would you like to know ?

What did you use to create it?? Never seen a chart done that way.

Numbers by Apple that is free and improved regularly

Good for you. I use it but not at your level. I’ll have to play more.

in fact, I don’t use often graphics (almost never), so I try and it work. I think you may create one easily !

1 Like

I was confused by this until I realized the later years are part future and it’s not known exactly what you will do. but going somewhere else it seems.