Architect Training

Greetings. Im looking for arch resources to study. It can be books, websites, pictures… ANYTHING! I need to learn as much as I can, for example, what is a ‘friese’ and what purpose does it serve. Schooling is not an option where I live unfortunately. I have looked into online training, but would prefer to have a more hands-on approach. While I can design just about anything in 3D, I lack the knowledge to make my models presentable and marketable. Thanks in advance for any links and information.

Mahalo!

If you are interested in learning about the general drawing conventions and construction methods in architecture i would recommend you start with Books by Francis. D.K. Ching.

These books are very commonly used in accredited courses for degrees in Architecture.

I personally have used ‘Architectural Graphics’ ‘Design Drawing’ and ‘Building Construction Illustrated’ extensively in my education.

Simple place to start, quality information.

4 Likes

You will get a lot of google matches if you use the correct spelling: Frieze

If you are visual like me, this visual glossary of architectural vocabulary will come in handy :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look at the library for those books :smiley:

An English architectural magazine (AR, possibly) once had a cartoon called “To Quoin a Frieze” but it seems that the Internet was not born back then, cannot find any mention. Sorry fot the OT…

Anssi