Apple to kill off Open GL?

One can take a tough decision to push developers onto your own technology in order to strengthen it, but you can just as well fail and gamble it away.

I imagine if Apple deprecated Intel x64, they would add a button to Xcode to output ARM machine code and have a much smoother transition.

Unfortunately, OpenGL is not generated by a compiler with the press of a button, but an API for which developers actually write code, so a transition requires significant redevelopment. This is a risk that could cost Apple their application field for professional use.

That this is not only a problem for SketchUp is shown by the appearance of compatibility layers (MoltenVK, MoltenGL), but it is certainly not in the aim of a new proprietary graphics API that everyone uses a translation layer to convert commands from the standard API to the new API. It is not yet foreseeable whether their will be restrictions for such apps in the AppStore.

I know people who’ve had their Microsoft PC crash and they lost all their data, people who’ve gotten terrible viruses on Microsoft PC’s, and remember the red rings error on Microsoft’s Xbox 360? Mac is much more reliable. I know plenty of people who’ve had Macs for 10 years without getting any grievous viruses or permanent system meltdowns. Whereas, it’s extremely common to hear about the terrible viruses PC users go through. I’ll never switch from Mac to Microsoft, unless they get a better reputation.

Do they frequently stop working, so you have to buy another one?

You know, a Happy Families game has more than two cards, and there is always third or fourth one that beats you in one category. So let’s not turn this into a platform war. All of them can crash, anyways.

What we can agree on is that we all want to be able to use the applications of need on the platform of choice. For this, applications need to be somewhat abstracted from the OS and use standards (example: SketchUp for Web, or Java in business apps), which sometimes conflicts with the interest of the OS maker who wants to promote and distinguish their platform.

It remains to be seen whether the outcome of this conflict results in a better solution.

1 Like

You’re right. I’m hoping I can still use SketchUp on Mac. If SketchUp is not compatible with Mac updates, then I’ll probably avoid the update or use older Mac computers.

Never had any problems with PC’s. In all the years only had one hard disk go bad and data was all backed up. Virus threats are overrated and apply to all platforms just made sure had various(free) antimalware, spyware installed and took care as to what websites I visited/downloaded.
Latest PC (Lenovo) windows 10 and reliable built in security anyway.
My previous PC (HP slimline/Vista) has been running at least 10 years and still going strong for photos and old files. Just make sure I ‘de-fluff’ the fans/heatsinks now and then which is easy as access is simple. The one before that going by the glorious name of Terminator2 with windowsXP has been running 20 years. So in my experience, no, they do not frequently stop working but they are ‘cheap’ if you fancy a change!

3 Likes

same here, problems (e.g. BSoD) do typically arise with bad drivers or defective hardware only. Installing everything from every doubtful source is in general a PICNIC issue and does affect the main stream operating system (aka Windows) surely more than other OS.

I still have an ol’ PC from 1997 running XP for using some old software…

Claiming that “they lost all their data” without having a timely backup is a little bit lightheaded, if data is important a recurrent backup seems to be obvious.

btw, don’t use multiple security suites simultaneously, they may interfere.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.