Anyway to import CityJSON files?

Hi is there a way to import CityJSON files?

CityJson is a json file where a city is build up in 3D-format; looks like CityGML.

Or are there tools to import that in SU and LO?

Yes, there is!
I imported a JSON file via Blender into SketchUp

In Blender, I imported JSON file using this information and plugin

cityjson_blender

I exported geometry as DAE file, then I imported into SketchUp

cityjson_skp via blender

1 Like

Thank you. I will check blender. And the github.

Hi there. I am trying to open a Json file from 3D Basisvoorziening - PDOK

I wanted to upload the file here so you can have a look but computer says no. Sorry I am new on the forum.

Anyway tried to import in blender via the add on mentioned above.
How ever Blender is giving me this error

any suggestions? I have been trying to get this data into DWG IFC or sketchup anything I can draw in but no succes so far.

Thanks

Tim

Try zipping it first. That should probably work. It did for me with a .csv file which the forum wouldn’t accept.

Do you seriously mean you are using SU v6 as your profile suggests?

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. I am not using SU 6, I updated the info. I was a bit frustrated and wanted to get this post on the the form but did not know my SU versions so just typed 6

I tried zipping the file but the form will still not accept it. the .zip is still 222 MB. The original file is about 1,4 GB, which seems rather big to me. I was succesfull today in opening the files on a different computer in Blender but Blender crashed right after, I couldn’t pan or move much. Second go I did get it to export to DAE but sketchup was unable to import due to corrupt files.

My conclusion is that the file is simply to big. I will need to get my hands on a much stroinger computer or get in toutch with the people who made the file asking if they will slice out the tiny piece of map I need.

Thanks for replying again

Best
Tim

The file size is indeed huge. You could upload it to Dropbox, OneDrive , or WeTransfer - the forum limit is about 15MB.

But almost any computer that runs SU will struggle with it.

Your suggestion to get the originator to select and send you just the the area you need is probably the best way to go.

I’m willing to try to open the file in a text editor, but would need to have you tell me how to find and select the part you need.