Tengel07's wip project: 1970 Porsche 908/03

Gulf Oil.

images

Gulf Blue :smiley:
Porsche runs in gulf color due relation ship with John Wyers Gulf-Team in 1970 and 1971.

1 Like

Oh man this is looking good, can’t go wrong with gulf! I used it myself for @TheOnlyAaron millennium Falcon

Really looking forward for when you finish this, you should do a cutaway animation render so everybody can see all the hard work you did on the internals !

5 Likes

Love this! I’m a P-nut too!

1 Like

Still a lot of detail work ahead, here the Progress so far, rear suspension done and gearbox cooling ducts build and positioned.

Gearbox cooling ducts - subd applied

Cheers
Torsten

9 Likes

Amazing work, thanks for sharing all of your progress!

1 Like

Some color in this difficult times:
Brake-Duct and Brake-Cooling cover.
Now its clear why the panel has these dent on the lower suspension arm mount points on the frame - the brake duct needs that space when steearing the wheels.

Gear shift mechanic.
Now i understand the reason for these holes in the gearbox mount area and only on these side. The rod to the gear lever runs through these holes.

Another piece of detail: the slider mechanic for open and close the air funnel with the throttle pedal.
I’m lucky with me drawing of the tooth belt.

Mechanical fuel injection pump (MFI-Pump).
I have added the Barometerbox (colored in Gold) and the Oil inlet cap (red) with 3D Text…
I did a redraw of the injection nozzles too.

Regards
Torsten

8 Likes

In my own “reverse engineering” project, I often discover answers to questions such as the ones you listed. It’s good fun to figure out the explanation for what initially seems a pointless complication or other oddity in a part.

2 Likes

WIP Fuel system.

two small pipe stubs connected to the chassis tube running across the top of the front of the engine bay - this allows the left-hand tank to vent back into the filler neck.

4 Likes

Your project is awesome! And i like it a lot that you show of your workflow step by step.

1 Like

Making of the fuel pump for porsche 908.
I found some pics from the pump including some dimensions.
The pump is also used in Mercedes-Benz W111-Series.

Now i draw the pump divided in different parts - quadfaces as usual.

subd provides a smooth and realistic look of the pump.

Cheers
Torsten

8 Likes

The fuel pump creation procedure is also used for the fuel filter.
Splited in parts and created with quadfaces.

Subd applied.

Both components now part of the Porsche 908 fuel system.

6 Likes

Nice! Finding authoritative measurements is wonderful. Nice job on the on-going modeling.

1 Like

New engine pics found on the i-net.
I use the pics for a rework of the engine model during the last days, some details not finished yet.
Not 100% perfect - but it looks like as the 8-cylinder porsche engine.

6 Likes

Really enjoying following the evolution of this model — reminds me of the efforts of TDahl on the Mars Lander, in terms of the impressive fidelity to the real-world object and level of modelling detail.

Fantastic job!

2 Likes

Yes - its a challenge to get all the details in shape and right positioned due the lack of drawings.
I can use only photos and try to calculate the dimension with the help of the known size of some parts.
Also the sessions with @TheOnlyAaron helps me to improve my knowledge and workflow.

You’re doing a stellar job, considering the lack of definitive drawings to model from.

And ya, I’m also really enjoying @TheOnlyAaron’s live modelling sessions — they’re fun as entertainment and a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours — and instructive for learning new modelling approaches.

2 Likes

Body work a bit adjusted and with the plugin WrapR a texture map applied.
porsche_908-3_037_019

12 Likes

Wow! The body paint makes it look even more fantastic.

3 Likes

Great job! Now for the Trabant…

1 Like