Another wip project: 1970 Porsche 908/03

One of my all time favorite race cars: the Porsche 908/03 from 1970. I got a toy car model of the Porsche in my youth from a relative from West Germany.
Via Internet i could collect a lot of pictures from the car and details like gearbox, engine, supension, frame, cockpit…

I did start with the gearbox - build with different objects - not final,

The original engine is taken from the 1968 Porsche 911, extended in the middle with 2 cylinder.
I found lots of drawings and pics for the 911 engine and could use them as base for the 908 engine

Progress so far:

All parts will be prepared for quadfaces and subd for a smooth and clean result.
Regards
Torsten

8 Likes

Nice job so far! I appreciate the work involved in 3D digital modeling of physical objects (and the challenge of obtaining accurate and details reference material), it’s what I use SketchUp for as well.

1 Like

Orignal gearbox - got these pics from a team in the us - taken during a Restauration

My work so far:

Most of the geometry is made as components - rescaled to fit on different places.
Screws, Nuts and Bolts also components - used in the whole model of 908 - at the end i can finalize these components for subd…

3 Likes

Distributor mounted - 8 cylinder - 2 sparks per cylinder - 16 distribution points…
Fan housing and belt drive added.

Underside - exhaust mounting points done

Top view engine and gearbox

Mechanical fuel injection pump - wip
Difficult to get drawing, found a part list with a little drawing and all parts numbers including used screws.
I use some pics with the screw dimensions as reference to get the dimensions from other parts.

Regards
Torsten

3 Likes

F8CD309F-4AE4-4320-8F19-E8756BE95169

Redesign of the gearbox according to new drawings i get from a book. The 908/3 is not well documented especially in drawings…

2 Likes

547438DE-BE04-42D1-9761-4E3174A0B826 1A276F70-D8E1-4D51-A131-4809F7578646 799D8D01-6F5E-4EEB-BA4F-2F50956EEB0C
Starter added to the mount point on the gearbox. Ready made with quadfaces and subd.

3 Likes

Wow. Very nice.

1 Like

Next update:
First try of the drive shaft and u-joints

Version 2 of the drive shaft - all parts made with quadfaces

Subd applied

Updated drive shaft added

Rear framework build and test fit with engine and body.

Regards
Torsten

3 Likes

Little wip update…
Tyre redrawing according to the dimensions described in a book about Porsche: "Excellence Was Expected’ by Karl Ludvigsen.

SubD applied on body and tires.

Regards
Torsten

4 Likes

Exhaust pipes - with the help from plugin pipe along path. 5 of 8 cylinder done.

Subd applied

Regards
Torsten

4 Likes

Exhaust pipes done - fully quadface and subd.

Regards
Torsten.

6 Likes

I work according to my desire and mood in different areas.
Today i build the air intake system and the cam shaft cover with quadfaces for subd.

Regards
Torsten

5 Likes

Top view

Regards
Torsten

5 Likes

Small update:
MFI and toothed belt

Camshaft chain housing

Regards
Torsten

4 Likes

I hope it’s not boring with all the pictures.
Day by day i learn more and more how to work with sketchup.
Today i lineup the drive shaft from gearbox to the rear wheel with the help of some lines and faces.

Engine and gearbox and exhaust.

Regards
Torsten

8 Likes

Not at all! Your on-going work is wonderful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is great stuff!

2 Likes

Today a bit pipe work for the frame.
I found a small drawing in the book 'Excellence Was Expected’ by Karl Ludvigsen.

Dimensions not good readable- but then main values like length, wheelbase are well documented.
The drawing does not show the final frame used on the real car - so i use lots of pictures found on internet for position and shape of the pipes.

I started with the connection points of the pipes and mark them with a circle.
Then i draw the lines between the points, rotate the circle in line with the connection line and extrude the pipe.

The rear frame is now finish, The front frame is a bit difficult to draw with all the overlapping pipes.

Thank you for your interest and feedback.
Regards
Torsten

4 Likes

Wow! Great!
Which Renderer did you use? Or is this a photo?

It’s a photo of a real car - i have over 500 pics collected for reference and detail build.
The car is not well documented in drawings - so i can only use pics to draw the car and most of the parts.

Regards
Torsten

3 Likes