Animated Salutation

5 Likes

Ok, but is that what their children should call them nowadays?

1 Like

The trend in America is that the term “mother” is sexist and demeaning. “Birthing person” is unoffensively neutral. Whatever :roll_eyes:

“Birthing person” is a bit long… sorta like calling someone out by their full name - don’t think my Mum would go for that. But then…I doubt “BP” for short would go over very well, either… :laughing:

Some children are adopted.

Calling them primary caregiver (“PC”) would be very PC. Like literally.

1 Like

In America, we are united in diversity and constantly fighting for peace while vigilantly stamping out intolerance. PC is just another word for Orwell’s newspeak. :neutral_face:

Bethany Mandel wrote an interesting article about the use of “birthing person”

My uncalled for opinion is that a person ought to be called whatever he/she likes to be called. I have never met anyone who would like to be called “birthing person”. I do know women who don’t like to be “mommied”. They have taught their children to address them by their first name instead.

4 Likes

The birthing person of my children has named their father several other synonyms :smiley:

Interesting article. Apparently, I am not up on as many things as I thought I was, as not only had I not heard of “birthing person” before this thread… I had never heard of “chest feeding” either!

I dare say were my Mother to see this…she’d go on a rant about how she’d like to see a man give birth and nurse a baby. No…I believe this “birthing person” and “chest feeding” thing would go over like a lead balloon!

LOL…when I was growing up, the thought of calling either of your parents by their first name was just that - a thought. In fact, we didn’t even address an adult unless Mr, Mrs or Aunt or Uncle was attached to it. If all you ever heard was your parents call the next door neighbor Mary, for example… to you she was Miss Mary, or Tommy’s Mother… anything but just Mary.

1 Like

Here in the UK, we also have lots of babble in the media about this kind of thing. We tend to associate it with what we call liberal metropolitan wokery. It can go down very well in certain circles, universities chief amongst them. We have just had local council elections and our Labour Party (the nearest equivalent to US Democrats) has done badly. A lot of it is, rightly or wrongly, being blamed on the liberal, metropolitan bias they espouse that is about as popular with your “man on the Clapham omnibus” as sweet & sour bat in a Chinese restaurant. Constant exposure in the media can give the impression everyone wants it. But maybe it’s just the silent majority being…well, silent.

1 Like

Here in germany it’s basically the same thing but taken a step further. A specialty of the german language is associating a generic masculine version for a lot of nouns in every day use. Where a teacher is neutral in english in german there’s “Lehrer” (male) / “Lehrerin” (female) or a Student is “Student” (male) / “Stundentin” (female). A lot of the time the male version is used, in its singular as well as plural forms which is the way our language has worked for quite a while now. Somebody then came up with the idea this whole concept needs to be erased for the sake of equality/inclusion, ever since there has been a push to establish neutral nouns for that generic masculine version like Studierende (neutral) vs. Studenten (male).

And how is the man (woman, he, she, it, them,…) on the Berlin trolleybus taking it? Lying down?

Birthing person, with neutral grammatical gender, could also be understood as objectification of women.
I understand the argumentation to forsightfully include all the possibly offensed people that we don’t think of (non-women mothers?) but who may exist.
But to me (and in my country) this term seems a bit misfitting in these times where we have hoped to overcome the view as “birth machine” and similar NS ideologies.

3 Likes

Good grief.