An SU Rival?

Should we guess?

1 Like

That could be said for literally any software. The main features of SU were developed prior to Google.

Googles history with SU was short lived and they were not interested in its advancement since it was a product outside their scope.

For me personally, having used SU since its first version, the most investment in development was post Google, and obviously pre Google.

1 Like

….still waiting to see those CD’s.

You are assuming none of this development was in the works prior to Goggles acquisition. Considering all 70 or so employees became Google employees, I’m guessing that’s and incorrect assumption. I’m not knocking the work done under Google at all, but their goals were not aligned with the construction industry. My comment came about with the use of a free version which was not the same as the paid pro version under Google.

To minimize the advancement under Trimble is a little short sighted I think. It’s kind of like saying the 2023 Mustang GT only has slight improvements over the model T, since it ran on gas, had 4 wheels and a suspension.

1 Like

If Trimble hadn’t come along and purchased SketchUp, it is likely that Google would have killed it like they’ve done with many other applications they have purchased over the years. https://killedbygoogle.com/

2 Likes

So you’re saying Google should have not sold SketchUp and just killed it instead? You’re trolling again.

1 Like

There was something good done by Google/SketchUp. The free version probably counts as v6, but I think it was more of a v5.5. Those of us with a v5 license had to wait about 6 months to get the features the free users were given. There was much grumbling. When SketchUp Pro v6 came out Google gave all us v5 license owners a free upgrade to v6. Typically upgrades were $95 at the time.

1 Like

More stability? Neither of this programs can produce what SU can for construction. Or are you referring to ownership?

I’m fairly confident your list is short there Trampy. Really do you have any purpose but to come in here and trash SU….that is definitely “trolling”.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Yrimble has owned SU for over 10 years. And as you can see, they didn’t correct the Dimension tool to handle angular dimensions? Seriously? Architecture program? Not being able to insert an angular dimension? No real layers? 3D modeler without the possibility of inserting a fillet / chamfer? These are the complete basics. LO? Does nobody read the thread about this module? You yourselves complain that it’s slow! That it is impossible to work! A known flaw for years SU with clipping the model in the 3D window. The company explains that we are far from the beginning of the coordinate system! Seriously? architecture program? Of course, this translation sucks, SU cuts geometry even on very small objects. But you have to be able to cope, set up a forum, and wait for free user support. Well, such times As @trampy wrote, not much has changed in the SU itself. I had a few years off work with this program, After installing the new version I was embarrassed. Where are these few years of programmers’ work? We read about new versions, improvements and how it is now possible to work 30% faster. Then some boss comes and thinks that workers are lazy because it was supposed to be faster. This is the case with many software companies. In fact, the only thing about SU at first glance is the new logo!

The thread concerns a rival for SU. And calling someone Oooo troll, because he doesn’t shout loudly that SU HAS NO RIVAL !!! THIS IS THE BEST PROGRAM IN THE WORLD !!! it is rude to put it mildly and against the rules of discussion. But I guess that’s a custom on this forum, I too have been accused of trolling.

1 Like

Hilarious. Someone that constantly bashes SU in literally every thread is a troll. Re read the thread title while your at it. I don’t remember this being a SU sucks thread.

Really sorry SU isn’t working for you. For many, many others it is. I’ve been using it in my architectural practice for two decades. Please tell me again how it won’t work for a professional office?

FYI you can do angled dimensions. Most of my projects have oblique angles and I certainly don’t skip dimensioning them.

If you feel I’ve broken the rules, by all means report me.

4 Likes

If you have something for me, say it openly. And since the topic concerns SU, it would be difficult not to write about this Program. The second thread where I referred to the SU is about the comparison between SU and Fusion360. Do you think I should write about Covid there or here? Does it only praise SU? You call me a troll, I will ask you how to name someone who uncritically praises the program without seeing its flaws? Lobbyist to the softest word. When I wrote that Google was spreading SU for free for commercial purposes, you rang the bell that it wasn’t … And yet it was … So no one is infallible, Not even you. But pretending to be infallible is ridiculous. Just to be clear, I’ve been using SU for a long time, even longer than many on this forum. As someone from the “great” on this forum accused me of never learning the general principles of modeling, without watching live modeling, today I saw Tyson VS rocking chair match. In my opinion, the chair won. why? This is why:

Nob without base knowledge do this better as master? Impossible! Fake!

If You use plag-in :wink: I also use SU, But I not talking that is the best and for all,

And here’s something else for unfaithful Thomas

Actually I was not calling you a troll. I was referring to Trampy trolling. I don’t see how bashing SU and LO in a thread that looks for alternatives makes sense, much like your response here. Trampy will surely admit they do bash SU often since the threads are there to document. If you read the whole thread, you’ll see I was actually not the first one to bring up trolling with their posts.

LO doesn’t have plug ins so not sure what you are talking about. I also do not use many plug-ins in SU either-two.

Fan-boi… that’s what you can call me.

And it is ridiculous that we cannot check the angular dimension on a regular basis in the SU. What if you couldn’t insert a linear dimension? after all, there is a measuring cup and you can check and if not, LO. You know it is SU. It’s very easy to accidentally move a knot and sometimes it feels like something is wrong with a certain episode, the most convenient way to do this would be with the Dimension tool. Do you really think it’s such a problem not to improve it in 10 years?

I also use SolidWorks. Dessault System do the same, have customers i the… I think that you know where…

I don’t ever dimension in SU so I wouldn’t know the answer to that. Dimensioning should be done in LO. You can always verify a dimension in SU with the measure tool.

LO is literally for that purpose, and would save you countless hours when setup correctly.

So I’d agree with you that dimensioning in SU seems like a waste and why is it even a feature? It’s there, but I never use it and never will.

2 Likes

It probably predates Layout, but it’s your only real choice to dimension a perspective or isometric in a consistent way with the image. Yes, I have done that.

2 Likes

Trampy’s post about FormZ was the last on topic post, more than 20 posts up from here. @colin , I suggest a split…

1 Like

Then the “gods” of this forum appeared on it and began to write that it is not true, SU is the best and serves everything, and that no one has done as much for this program as Trimble, and the Trimble are loved us as our parents. I ask: Who’s trolling this thread?

1 Like

It is not important when, the problem remains and I consider it a big minus of the SU that it is not possible to dimension the angles natively. Likewise, no predefined bottom view, no free manipulation of the view. You have to use an advanced camera. Can be counted endlessly. Trimble doesn’t do much to keep up with the top. Were it not for external programmers who extend the possibilities (often for FREE), I think that the program would remain in a niche for hobbyists and people who do not have the funds for more expensive software, while in architects’ studios it would remain what its name suggests - a sketchbook. Its great advantage was, is and will be speed. You can develop the basis for further actions during a meeting with the client. Yes, it’s true, you can model anything in it, but with what effect and how much time? Encouraged by another discussion on this forum, I modeled in SU the chair that Tyson was struggling with on Friday to see what effect could be achieved. Were it not for my experience with 3D Studio (for DOS yet), the result would be mediocre, I spent most of my time improving the geometry that the SU generated such as holes, double faces, etc. Many of you say: I have been using SU for 20 years, from the first version, I can its help to model everything! In my opinion, a good program doesn’t need 20 years of experience to be able to model “everything”. And above all, this program is not for everything.
The effect of my fight with the rocking chair