Tengel07's wip project: 1970 Porsche 908/03

One of my all time favorite race cars: the Porsche 908/03 from 1970. I got a toy car model of the Porsche in my youth from a relative from West Germany.
Via Internet i could collect a lot of pictures from the car and details like gearbox, engine, supension, frame, cockpit…

I did start with the gearbox - build with different objects - not final,

The original engine is taken from the 1968 Porsche 911, extended in the middle with 2 cylinder.
I found lots of drawings and pics for the 911 engine and could use them as base for the 908 engine

Progress so far:

All parts will be prepared for quadfaces and subd for a smooth and clean result.
Regards
Torsten

10 Likes

Nice job so far! I appreciate the work involved in 3D digital modeling of physical objects (and the challenge of obtaining accurate and details reference material), it’s what I use SketchUp for as well.

2 Likes

Orignal gearbox - got these pics from a team in the us - taken during a Restauration

My work so far:

Most of the geometry is made as components - rescaled to fit on different places.
Screws, Nuts and Bolts also components - used in the whole model of 908 - at the end i can finalize these components for subd…

6 Likes

Distributor mounted - 8 cylinder - 2 sparks per cylinder - 16 distribution points…
Fan housing and belt drive added.

Underside - exhaust mounting points done

Top view engine and gearbox

Mechanical fuel injection pump - wip
Difficult to get drawing, found a part list with a little drawing and all parts numbers including used screws.
I use some pics with the screw dimensions as reference to get the dimensions from other parts.

Regards
Torsten

5 Likes

F8CD309F-4AE4-4320-8F19-E8756BE95169

Redesign of the gearbox according to new drawings i get from a book. The 908/3 is not well documented especially in drawings…

3 Likes

547438DE-BE04-42D1-9761-4E3174A0B826 1A276F70-D8E1-4D51-A131-4809F7578646 799D8D01-6F5E-4EEB-BA4F-2F50956EEB0C
Starter added to the mount point on the gearbox. Ready made with quadfaces and subd.

6 Likes

Wow. Very nice.

1 Like

Next update:
First try of the drive shaft and u-joints

Version 2 of the drive shaft - all parts made with quadfaces

Subd applied

Updated drive shaft added

Rear framework build and test fit with engine and body.

Regards
Torsten

5 Likes

Little wip update…
Tyre redrawing according to the dimensions described in a book about Porsche: "Excellence Was Expected’ by Karl Ludvigsen.

SubD applied on body and tires.

Regards
Torsten

6 Likes

Exhaust pipes - with the help from plugin pipe along path. 5 of 8 cylinder done.

Subd applied

Regards
Torsten

5 Likes

Exhaust pipes done - fully quadface and subd.

Regards
Torsten.

7 Likes

I work according to my desire and mood in different areas.
Today i build the air intake system and the cam shaft cover with quadfaces for subd.

Regards
Torsten

6 Likes

Top view

Regards
Torsten

7 Likes

Small update:
MFI and toothed belt

Camshaft chain housing

Regards
Torsten

4 Likes

I hope it’s not boring with all the pictures.
Day by day i learn more and more how to work with sketchup.
Today i lineup the drive shaft from gearbox to the rear wheel with the help of some lines and faces.

Engine and gearbox and exhaust.

Regards
Torsten

10 Likes

Not at all! Your on-going work is wonderful. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is great stuff!

2 Likes

Today a bit pipe work for the frame.
I found a small drawing in the book 'Excellence Was Expected’ by Karl Ludvigsen.

Dimensions not good readable- but then main values like length, wheelbase are well documented.
The drawing does not show the final frame used on the real car - so i use lots of pictures found on internet for position and shape of the pipes.

I started with the connection points of the pipes and mark them with a circle.
Then i draw the lines between the points, rotate the circle in line with the connection line and extrude the pipe.

The rear frame is now finish, The front frame is a bit difficult to draw with all the overlapping pipes.

Thank you for your interest and feedback.
Regards
Torsten

4 Likes

Wow! Great!
Which Renderer did you use? Or is this a photo?

It’s a photo of a real car - i have over 500 pics collected for reference and detail build.
The car is not well documented in drawings - so i can only use pics to draw the car and most of the parts.

Regards
Torsten

3 Likes