All "white" colours default to the same random material when applied to a surface

When I select any colour “white” to paint with, it is applied as another material (with specific attributes that I have not created). This has happened twice in the last day - with each “default” material being different. One was a colour from the standard pallet but had 20% opacity, the second was a “renamed material” created by Podium which had a bump applied. This issue only occurs with whites, other “colours” (red, etc), and textured materials (carpet whatever) aren’t changed.
This is SU 2018 on a Mac.
To be specific: I hover over a material and check that it is 000 for instance, I click on it, but when I apply it to a surface it becomes Material 18. If I select any other white, and Material 18 is applied.

Does this have to do with Vray materials?

No Vray

Does this happen for any material or only when you paint with the default material? Faces painted with default material inside groups and components are displayed with the material of that parent container, if there is any. I think it helps to think of default material as no material.

This is happening when I paint with any “white” material. I am thinking that there is a corruption somehow in this file as there are other weird things are occurring, such as the “material” displaying as the “default” material when it is obviously not, and surfaces changing from a texture that was originally applied, to something different. It is driving me nuts so I am now going to uninstall everything and start from scratch, and will report back if the issue resurfaces.

I think the OP means the use of self made/renamed colors: when applied in the Model, they all appear in the in model list as ‘Material1’ , ‘Material2’ etc. and not with the names that appear while hovering over?
This is a Mac thing, maybe @slbaumgartner could shed some light?

there are two common frustrations with material names on mac SU…

if the material is really just a color, then the name and display-name are assigned ‘Material’ + increment…

if the material has a texture, but has an error in it’s files xml, then the name and display-name are assigned ‘<auto + increment>’…

in SU v17 and v18, incrementation is broken, and it only uses <auto> so any new ‘broken’ texture uses the original <auto> whatever it was…

This week alone, I have repaired over a thousand textures from the Sketchucation collections…

the issue with those were attributes assigned by ‘Twilight’ and written into the .skm files .xml…

I know in the past ‘Podium’ also added attributes to their texture sets, but I haven’t seen any reports of those causing this error…

@splatcreativeau, it is most likely the ‘Texture Set’ your using that is broken, not your SU install…

if it’s happening with SU shipped materials, then it’s likely Podium or another renderer are corrupting the materials naming…

add a simple model painted with broken texture and I can have a look…

what is the name and source of the materials collection…

john

2 Likes

Just realised that I had (sort of) responded to you via a different topic. But specifically now will say thanks for your insights. Now understanding the Mac foibles (of which there appear to be many with SU) you describe, I have been very careful to note the colour names / designations so as to not get anything confused / over written, and have not experienced exactly the same issue
I will add that I bought the Mac specifically to run Adobe stuff - which it absolutely does better that the PC. But it has since died - the only reason for now running SU on the Mac. While there are a few nice (convenience) things the Mac does, SU definitely worked way better on my puny PC. I will be reverting to a PC (for SU) in the near future.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.