Advice/Technical Model Entity Error

Hello Experts And Fellow SketchUp Users,

I’m new to the community so please accept my apologies for being unacquainted with the way things work here.

I’m building a model using SketchUp Make 2017.
Recently, when I copy and paste the model in its current uncompleted form to a new page and then save, I get an error message, saying some faces have a duplicate ID. “Entity CEdge (1386622) has a duplicated persistent id.” What I don’t understand though is that previous to copying to a fresh page, the model was checked for errors, returning none.

The model has been built in stages, each having their own save file, so I can go back to any previous stage but each stage represents a few hours work and I would like to just correct the issue manually (as in, delete the problem line or face, etc.)

Can I find the particular face or line by the specific code, 1386622?
I mean, could I search for it and it be highlighted, for example?
SketchUp offers to fix the issue(s) but then I don’t know which face or line had the issue, other than tracing it to a certain part of the model that contains some 8,000 entities.

I’ve looked on the internet for a solution but I can’t find one, so I’m asking here.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It would help if you would share the .skp file so we can help you find the offending edge.

What do you mean by “new page”?

Hello, thanks for your reply,

I mean a new, fresh SketchUp document. I copy any paste the existing model into it and work on the next stage.

The .skp file isn’t on the internet, so I don’t know how I’d share it. Would I need to upload the model(?)

Yes. If the file isn’t too large, you should be able to drag the .skp file into a reply here. Otherwise upload it to DropBox or Google Drive and share the link.

This is part of it, where I get the error when saving.

Test.skp (10.4 MB)

From what I can see, it’s not terribly surprising that you have geometry issues. Everything in your model is loose geometry so there are a lot of intersections and places for problems to occur. You should learn to use components and groups to maintain separation between parts. That will make your model much easier to work with, too.

Also all of your faces are oriented incorrectly.

Here I’ve selected a default style to make that easier to see. (I don’t know how you can work with the style the way you have it set.)

Istarted CleanUp3 running and it immediately indicated about 4 and a half hours to clean up the duplicate faces and unneeded edges. Not sure I can keep SketchUp tied up that long but we’ll let it run for a little bit.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice.

Can you explain what you mean by “loose geometry” and faces being “orientated incorrectly” please.
I’m not familiar with the majority of SketchUp, as I’m sure you see.

In SketchUp the geometry is “sticky”. You put geometry into group or component containers to keep things from merging. In your model, for example the anchor capstan drums, fairleads, and bollards among others would be instances of components. You only need to model one and copy it. All of the discrete objects you put on deck would be groups or components.

Faces in SketchUp have fronts and backs. In the default styles the front faces are white (or very light gray) while the back faces are blue.With a 3D shape, all exterior faces should be the white front faces. Face orientation is important when it comes to applying textures, if you want to render the model in a renderer, or in the case of models that would be used for 3D printing because the face orientation tells the slicer software which side of the faces gets the printing media and which side is room air.

I would suggest before you continue with your complex ship model, you spend some time learning the basics of SketchUp. Go through the instruction content at learn.sketchup.com There’s no point continuing to blunder your way through this model until you do learn those basics.

Here’s what the model should look like with faces oriented correctly.

Thank you for explaining.

I was using blue for the outside - I didn’t know it was white for the outside.

In terms of components, I’m not a fan of using them. Maybe its my lack of experience with them but I guess I just like to see everything connected. Though, yes, I completely see your point that it would make things easier.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

Suit yourself but having everything connected like you do is the root of your problems. It also makes your model much hard to work with.

Here’s an example where your preference to keep all the geometry connected can work against you. Suppose you want to move something on deck. Because it is connected, the move will distort the deck surface.

If you were using groups and components as you should be, you move that object anywhere you want and it wouldn’t affect any other geometry.

My original question about finding a specific edge or face, can one do that by knowing the code in brackets, 3429931 for example?

I don’t believe so.

Really, that’s the only problem I’m concerned with, finding those few faces or lines that are causing SketchUp to trip on them. I know that if I wanted to move any object connected I’d have to re-draw part of it.

I’d be interested to see what your software dredges up from it though. I’m sure there are things I’ve missed (without meaning to.)

I gave up waiting on CleanUp3 to finish and didn’t save any changes so I can move on to other work. You can install CleanUp 3 and run it for yourself, though. It’s available in the Extension Warehouse.

Okay thanks. I’ll check it out.

Checkout this extension:
https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/28691b5f-d472-4d26-a4d6-0a7c0b8068e0/kg-dev-select-by-id

Thanks. I’ll check it out.