Advice for a novice user

Currently I’m working on a floor plan for a proposed dwelling. I have the layout completed, and I noticed that I made 2 columns a different diameter, now I can’t edit the drawing.

What have I done wrong???

Regards,
TropicalGuyCns.

Can you upload the file so we can look at it.

Being a novice , I will need some direction for that Please.

Regards,
TropicalGuyCns.

The upload button is located to the left of the “Bulleted List” above the text box when you click reply.

Sorry, I need more direction, Found the button, what now.

Regards,
TropicalGuyCns.

Click “Browse” then select your SketchUp file.

6 Lakeside Drive, Tinaaroo. Floor Plan.skp (174.2 KB)

Sorry it took as long it here now.

Regards,
TropicalGuyCns.

When you say you can no longer edit the drawing, what do you mean? I did notice that for some reason, the component is “double-nested”. Meaning that in order to edit it you need to double-click the component, and then double-click a second time to edit it. That would be fixed by right clicking on the floorplan and choosing “explode”. Then you just have to double-click to edit it.

To make things easier to edit, I’d first explode everything and then re-group the model into multiple components that make sense for the plan. I don’t know the floor plan that you are working from, but I have uploaded a modified version of your file that has been split into components. Have a look what happens when you extrude the columns. This is the advantage of using components in your models.

6 Lakeside Drive, Tinaaroo. Floor Plan edited.skp (180.2 KB)

If you have any questions, just ask!
Cheers, and happy modeling!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your help, as stated above I’m a novice. The plan is my own, a design I’m working up for myself to build in the future. I have drawn the plan not completely knowing how the SU system really works, but I’m eager to learn. I notice that your revised file is somewhat larger then mine. Can you guide me as to what steps I now need to take to re-organize my original file.

Regards,

TropicalGuyCns,

Hi Walter,

The difference in file size (6kb) is because of some duplication of some lines and vertices due to objects being grouped into components.

How you organize your model depends on several things. Mostly, it depends on what type of model you are trying to create. But it also depends on how you like to model. Being new to SketchUp, If you haven’t already, I’d recommend watching the 4 videos here: http://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos/58 This should give a good base of the tools of SketchUp.

To avoid overloading you with information, I have a couple simple things to start you in organizing your model:

• Use components to differentiate between different things in your model, like walls, floors, windows, doors, etc…
  • Make use of layers to allow you to turn off and on different parts of your model so that you don’t have to have everything showing at once

Have a look at the attached model. Turn the layers off and on and see how easy it is to isolate different areas of the model to work on. You might find a different method for organizing, but this is what I do for house plans.

Penthouse 01 - no materials.skp (1.6 MB)

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Attached please find my SU showing the latest problems that I have encountered. (Solid framing has disappeared and some areas have changed colour ?)

I would appreciate your assistance once again.

Regards,

TropicalGuyCns.

6 Lakeside Drive, Tinaroo. Floor Plan.skp 2.skp A.skp (303 KB)

Hi Walter,

I apologize for the late reply. If you haven’t already found an answer, my reply is below.

It’s difficult to determine from the model what the intent is, but to address your questions in general:

When faces are missing when you pull/push a shape to make it solid, this is typically an indication that there are other lines attached to the shape which are conflicting with the shape that you are trying to extrude. You will always get the best results if the shape you are extruding (pulling into 3D) is completely independent from any other geometry in your model. Not to say that it won’t work if that’s not the case, but the busier the shape, the more likely that you will get undesirable results. Another reason for making the flat shapes components BEFORE pulling them. This is easily done by single clicking the face you want to pull, and turning it into a component, making sure that the “Replace selection with component” option is selected.

As for the walls changing colour, that’s just an indication of which way the faces are oriented. Blue means you are seeing the “back” of a face. By default, the front side is white and the back side is blue. You can right click on the blue face and choose “Reverse face” to flip it around. If you have many faces to flip, right-click on a white face nearby, and select “orient faces”. This is flip all faces the same as whatever face you first right-clicked on. This is very helpful for cleaning a model up and getting it ready for texturing and rendering.

Let me know how it goes.
Andrew

shameless plug
You might look at my 3D Warehouse Collection “2D Floorplan Symbols”

I have symbols for electrical fixtures, some appliances, doors, windows, etc. that I have found useful when making floorplans.