Adjusting Parallax in Saved/Camera Views

How does one adjust converging parallel lines (parallax) when “looking up?” Camera target is Z-higher that Camera viewpoint? In other applications this is sometimes called “camera adjustment modifier” or something of that nature? I’ve tried searching in Sketchup help to no avail. I’ve also asked my friend Yahoo! but they also don’t seem to offer what I’m looking for!

Thanks for your help Community Forum
Art in Seattle

You mean ‘Field of View’? It’s in the Camera menu and can be saved in a scene.

1 Like

If I understand your question, you are seeking a model view in which (for example) the sides of a building don’t appear to converge as you look upward at it. For this you need two-point perspective, one of the standard cameras in SketchUp. In this mode, the camera is pointed exactly level, and that eliminates the converging verticals. Note, however, that it is fragile: any orbiting of the model will pop you back to standard perspective. You can only pan without losing it.

SketchUp contains no facility to warp another camera view to eliminate convergence.

What @slbaumgartner says:

1. Set up the general view you’re looking for
  2. Choose 2 Point Perspective from the Camera menu
  3. Use the Pan tool to reframe the image

In real world photography, it’s done with shifting the lens, and it can be done in Lightroom and Photoshop and other apps. Some renderers don’t work the SketchUp’s 2 point perspective and some do, I guess, since it’s part of the V-Ray for SU tutorial on SketchUp campus.

Set the ‘Field of View’ as low as possible, 1 degree (or switch to parallel projection) to obtain almost parallel vertical (screen-) lines when looking up.

That’s disappointing…

Just be aware that like a very long telephoto lens this will flatten the perspective of everything.

The lens shift camera works by pointing the camera level and the offsetting the front lens vertically. The effect is equivalent to having a giant lens and then cropping out all but the part of the image along the line between the lens and the film.

I’m on a Mac, not windows, but the same item should available. Understand that after choosing this, you probably need to use the pan tool to get back the exact frame of focus that you want. You can pan with the mouse, but it’s so easy to screw up and orbit accidentally when you do so, it’s a good idea to actually use the pan tool, not the mouse scroll wheel.
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 5.26.00 PM

That is not parallax. Parallax is the difference between different viewpoints, for instance, when a camera has a separate viewfinder the view in it will be slightly different from the view actually captured by the lens.

2 Likes

Some more background information: Tilt–shift photography - Wikipedia

1 Like