Adding dimension produces large bounding box

@DaveR, @endlessfix:

Thank you both for the clarification. I often use the rescaling technique when importing drawings as a base reference for model construction. I did not know I could use the same approach to rescale one component.

In this model, I only needed to correct the x-axis measurement. My understanding of the tape measure rescale function is that the entire model (or component) would scale about all three axes. Is this correct?

Thank you again for your help. The collective wisdom on this forum is inspiring and very much appreciated.

Yes. That’s right. In the case of adjusting just one direction, another method would be needed. The Scale tool would be a likely candidate however there are some situations when it wouldn’t be the right one for the job.

You could also use the Scale tool and just enter the final dimension instead of a scale factor. You just need to remember to enter the units with the dimension.

Again, I did not know that. I just tried the technique on my model and it worked perfectly. Using the scaling tool, I was able to scale the x-axis only and specify the measurement I wanted in mm.

Stating the obvious, I need to read more about every tool in the SketchUp toolbox.

2 Likes