About the SketchUp Free (Web) category

I’m just trying to get started with SketchUp. Saw some great tutorials on Youtube for creating timberframe models so I was pretty excited to try it out. Now not so excited. I was able to create a floor and begin saving a project but every time I try to move the origin within the window to begin working on real components, I lose it altogether and can’t get it back. Is this because I’m using a Mac book and the mouse is so radically different from a PC or is this because I’m using the browser version?

SketchUp’s basic modeling operations are pretty much the same on Windows, macOS and in the (new) browser. If you haven’t watched our “Getting Started” video series yet, I’d recommend doing so.

Is this program really ready for use? I can’t find a way to zoom to a home position. I can’t seem to find a tutorial that is for this product either. Is there a tutorial for this? Nice for folks to offer something free, but the older one was fine and tutorials, etc. worked well. Please point me in the correct direction.

hI!CAN I USE Sketchup FREE at school lessons sometimes

1 Like

I am wondering why I am being asked to sign up with Trimble? I am new and don’t get the connection, anyone?

Trimble is SketchUp’s parent company. You’re being asked to log into Trimble’s ID system because models created in SketchUp for Web are (by default) stored in Trimble’s cloud storage system, Trimble Connect.

Thanks j, I did bother to look it up the next day and I very much appreciate your response. Nice to finally know a little about a GPS designer (and more) company

I don’t understand this version. Where are all the menus?

I have two boys age 13 and 16 who have expressed a desire to learn sketchup that I have been telling them about this summer during summer break. Is there still a free version for kids to play with? Where is the info on how to get and use and what the limitations are. I take it there are no more Sketchup versions with limited function that are free.
Is that correct ?
If so perhaps someone can point me to any other products out there that is suitable for kids.

They are old enough for a Trimble ID, thus can have a Free account and sign up on my.sketchup.com (web based modeler)
You could consider an educational Studio Subscription ( 55 dollars/year)
Or download SketchUp Make 2017

Hoping to continue using Sketch-up for small home projects and non-profit nordic ski club type thinks, like laying out a starting grid and exchange zone so we can run races for kids…do not always have access to internet, and really don’t want a “web-based” “app”.
Not even sure if these comments will be seen or answered …
There seem to be references to SketchUp Make 2017 download, from a post last year. Is it possible this still is an option. Had to get a now computer. Frustrated, and too old…
Thanks

1 Like

Can’t find any option that showns SketchUp Make 2017
Finally found the “For Personal” column heading on the left, with a description indicating if it is “Usable Offline”…so this is web-based only…?

Not sure how I found this…Navigation is not “obvious”

Actually there’s so much creative people in this globe. And some reasons, creative people without great income or enough fund to get software licensed. I think that you could support these peoples to be meaning by SketchUp.

i have lost my martha’s file and i wanna know the reason of this problem. and if a can recover the file.

thanks for any answer!!!

If you mean that it was previously in your list of models, and now it’s not, check which email address you are using when you sign into this page:

https://app.sketchup.com/app

New to Sketchup trying the wed version on my Mac Air. Something seems to be missing after selecting a template where is the tool bar I see on You Tube lessons? Can’t insert dimensions what tutorials should I read?

I am currently using SketchUp Make V17 on my PC. What forces me to use SketchUp Free is that the 3D Warehouse do not provide components compatible with V17.

SketchUp Free on the Web is a horrible experience.

Not much more to say, will go and search for another product, not worth paying that amount of money for the Pro version if this Free version work like rubbish.

You can download files as Collada, and those will import into SketchUp 2017.

For your profile, you can choose About This Mac from the Apple menu, and it will show which macOS version you are using, and which graphics card.

I appreciate the feedback, now I can continue to use SketchUp v17.

Thank you.