Ability to group Pages in Layout? [Feature Request]

Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible to group pages in Layout for Sketchup. Like how we can group tags in Sketchup.

This way I can easily categorize my pages to different stages of the construction project.

There is probably no need to keep all your sheets in a single, heavy, unwieldy LayOut document. I would make the different categories into separate LayOut documents, as recommended by @Sonder

1 Like
off topic

I tried it a couple of year ago, not sure, but I guess it get updates to support recent version of SU

Search curic scene manager | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

Edit:
Ups, I just see your question is about Layout, the Extension I suggested is for SU… :blush:

1 Like

Yes I’m doing the same at the moment.

But I also work with Archicad and Revit in our firm for bigger BIM projects. It makes it easier to process information when everything is in one place.

Eventually, Layout has to become more than just a documentation tool and include more BIM features.

I love layout for smaller projects though.

Thanks

1 Like

I too am familiar with Archicad and Revit. When I need a BIM application I use one of them. Why should SketchUp be converted into one like them when they are already available? Yes, they are 6…10x the price but so would a SketchBIM be.

Well, Trimble is pretty much trying to get there. If not, why would they separate Sketchup Studio and Sketchup Pro? And charge a bomb for the Sketchup studio versions.
And include a feature like importing Revit files only in Sketchup Studio. Everyone’s in it just to make money if you ask me.

Layout has a very niche market which I agree with, but once the whole market starts to use BIM, Trimble will eventually do SketchupBIM too.

‘BIM’ is not a ‘tool that does it all’, per se as some software companies like to market. At some point, your bound to work with other packages (Construction-, HVAC-, Electrical-calculations, etc.) and other participants as well.
Depending on the size of the project, one might get away with dealing all the info inside LayOut, but as we have seen, we soon run into practical problems of having it in one package.

Let’s assume we have everything in LayOut and producing the needed pdf takes about an half hour or so. Then one model linked SketchUp model or spreadsheet) changes, an action that might have taken less than a minute to change inside SketchUp or excel, but we have to wait for half an hour to produce the outcome.

(Phonecall from installation office: ‘can you get me the planview of boiler room on the third floor of the southwest wing? They are planning to place another type that’s different and now I need to know where my drain needs to go.’
You: ‘hold on….)

I often like to compare Revit with LayOut, in both situations, it’s easier to see what’s going on in a plan or section view and they are both slow to work with once the models get bigger:)

Trimble Connect has more to offer than storage only, with an upgraded plan you get to have Bim capabilities to collaborate and expand, one should investigate those as the single source of truth first before trying to deal with it inside one specific application, I think.

In the end, I think it’s all about having the right folder structure in Windows explorer or Mac’s finder to suit your company’s needs, in combination of templates and workflows that everyone needs to obey.

If there is no way to have a substructure in the pages, it should be considered as the lowest level and one should seek in the hierarchy of the OS folder structure, for now, until it is implemented…

Edit: just came back from Eindhoven, where a local 3D Basecamp was organized and got a hold on the second edition of @mikebrightman ‘s book ‘The SketchUp workflow for Architecture’ in where he expedites on this. The first edition back in 2013 helped me setting things up the right way for SketchUp and LayOut back then, curious about Chapter 2:Building Information Modeling:)

4 Likes

Yes completely agree with you. BIM is a process and Sketchup already has features to embed IFC information. But it would be nice to filter data on a Sketchup Model more easily.

For example, apartment projects which are built completely in Sketchup. I would like the feature to sort this project by levels and extract particular information whenever necessary. Also, automate some of the work by generating schedules and potentially change doors of a particular level, etc. You get the idea. Yes, we can do a bit of this with the help of plugins like Quantifier pro, etc, but they’re pretty limited in what they can do.
I like working with Revit on apartment projects since I have access to Dynamo for Revit where I automate a lot of my work with packages and scripts.

This is where I want to see Sketchup go too in the coming few years. Automation is the name of the game.

And trimble Sketchup is focused heavily on the AEC and interior industry more than general-purpose 3D Modeling. So it makes sense if you ask me.

It will be good to organise a video conference to show ours workflow.
I attach data within SketchUp, I export schedule data tables, I extract Quantities and make budget automatically with Bim5d software with Sketchup models exported as IFC and I also attach info from Ms Project.
All of my models goes to Trimble Connect to collaborate with other people exchanging data by IFC files.

1 Like

nice! Do you use IFC 4.0 as the default export output? Or is it still the older IFC versions…
Also which Bim5D software do you use?
We’re presently working with Orca AVA.

Apart from the default IFC tags that you can add to the components, do you add any additional information? Thanks in advance.
Would love to attend that conference whenever you host it. :slight_smile:

I usually export in Ifc 4 format. I attach quantities with one of my plugins and I import my model in Mamba. (I make rules to obtain my budget automatically.)
I also attach information to my model with BsDD plugin and with this other one.

As soon as I have some time I will create a post to see if we can get together and share workflows, it might be interesting to see how other people do it.