A strange section plane anomaly

Ah you’re all to good for me, yes it is because I had SUbD’d it and that makes it behave strangely.

4 Likes

Ah - you edited the SUbD mesh. Hmm… that one is tricky - trying to detect/warn people about editing subdivided meshes…

1 Like

Yeah I keep catching myself doing it, you stupidly modify it and then it goes back to the original D’oh.
But this was the first time where I found it seemed to freeze, you couldn’t do anything with it and it wasn’t immediately obvious to me that it was a subd mesh as I had already modified it with Jpp then extrude tools. Both of which worked, but the section plane let me delete the inner face then I could do nothing else.

I logged an issue for investigating ways to try to catch this better by SUbD. See if I can reliably detect modifications and warn users.

3 Likes

You could use a ModelObserver to listen to active path changes. If the user enters a group/component “belonging” to SUbD there could be a warning message. pressing Cancel could even trigger undo, to take them out of there.

You can even completely look people out of the group/component, by always undoing when entered, and then show a message why they can’t enter it. This technique makes the group/component feel more like an Image entity in the sense that it cannot be entered.

Even better would be to revert to original mesh the second the user enters, and subdivide to previous settings when they exit.

I haven’t used SUbD in a long time, but this may clash with the crease tool. I can’t really remember how it works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.