A Question For The Old Timers With Respect To Version 2019

Since I have been drafting for many years, I could see early on that SketchUp was not a good basis for producing professional construction drawings. LayOut was a move in that direction. Consequently, though I support the idea for users that need it, I had diminishing interest in dashed lines in SketchUp, especially after LayOut came along. Linking them to layers, is the last thing I would have though of.

Still the point is “Draw edges on other than Layer0 at your own risk”. That’s just how SketchUp is. If you are not familiar with the problem: you can easily have edges and faces on different layers, which could create issues in using scenes or hiding elements (which is the whole point of Layers in SketchUp–hiding). That is the only reason I know of to keep edges and faces on Layer0.

Actually, the issue is that in SketchUp edges and faces interact with and share geometry with each other regardless of what layers they use and regardless of whether those layers are or are not visible. This is almost certain to cause unexpected edit effects when you change something that uses a visible layer but shares geometry with something that uses a non-visible layer.

No, that makes sense and is correct use of groups/components and layers.

But, what you are really doing is using nested groups or components to create a hierarchical structure in your model and then using layers to control what part of the hierarchy is visible. The layers themselves don’t create or know anything about the hierarchy. The “Doors” layer is in no way restricted to or a sub-layer of the “1st Floor Walls” layer; it can be used by any group or component anywhere in the model (even one that has nothing to do with doors, though that would be asking for trouble!).

1 Like

Actually It is OK that “that in SketchUp edges and faces interact with and share geometry with each other regardless of what layers they use and regardless of whether those layers are or are not visible.”

If you don’t put them on different layers, just as I said.

I’m a trouble maker who always questions authority, but the consensus on loose geometry and Layer0 is so unanimous, I’ve kept a number of thoughts to myself rather than cause trouble.

It seems to me, it’s the automatic “stickiness” of SU that causes the issue where loose geometry on multiple layers opens the door to hiding relevant geometry from view when editing a model and unexpected results can happen, correct? The broader answer to “only draw on Layer0” is more like “never hide relevant loose geometry while modeling.”

I’ve only experimented with this as an idea, and it involves complexity, but IF (I’m just speculating IF) I wanted to put loose geometry on another layer, I might do this:

• Restrict loose geometry only to certain layers whose name begins with ! (exclamation) It’s not only alarming, it sorts before any other character, so all those layers appear right below Layer0
  • Use syles and scenes to create a scene button that invokes “modeling mode” as apposed to other “display styles.”
  • Modeling mode doesn’t change the camera, but ensures that Layer0 is active and all the ! layers are visible.
  • Always invoke modeling mode before editing a model.

I’ve never actually used this, it’s just been a concept. Now you can trash it all you want.

Is usually followed by, written or implied, unless you understand what you are doing.
There are times when it can be useful to have raw geometry on different layers, to export .dxf for cnc paths for one.

Interesting thoughts RT. I may incorporate them into my workflow. I like the “!” layer idea for straw objects until you determine if they are needed or attached to other layers.

1 Like

actually this type of modeling is typically described as polygonal modeling approximating true surfaces by tesselated meshes based on connected facettes.

Dolphin triangle mesh
Chrschn [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

1 Like

Interesting RT, but why provide complexity? I find sometimes when thrashing along trying to get a job done, loose geometry goes off Layer0. This can be a result of imported CAD geometry (why SU is setup this way then the importer places geometry on imported layers, IDK).
I use the plugin “Default Layer Geometry” to fix things.

I think Dave’s distinction was that in some modelers all polygons have to be triangles, and in SketchUp faces can have any number of sides. It’s quite possible that behind the scenes what we draw ends up as triangles on the GPU, but we don’t have to worry about that, except when exporting to tools that only know about triangles.

wow… I freak out if I have 20 layers :)… very impressive stats you have there… I can understand your PC specs… I’d be interested to see some output, curious of the level of detail you go into… thanks

I don’t think so because it makes no difference.

@gsharp
Here are a couple of files you can download and review. I have attached my default architectural template (V2019) that I use to begin any residential project. Below you will find the level of detail to my models in which I use both for passing over to Layout and for rendering images.

Anyone may use the template for their own. I put it together about 9 years ago and have stuck with it in order to organize my drawings meticulously. Note that I don’t always use many of the layer but I include them with every model so I can have consistency across all of my projects.

Understand also that all of the layers are for depositing groups and components only. I never ever put any root level geometry to any layer other than LZ (Layer Zero).

Default Architectural Template.skp (110.3 KB)

Impressive rendering. Which rendering software are you using. Also which plugins do you rely on?

thx Peter, like the render too