A Little Project From the Shop

My bride doesn’t carry a purse. Instead she has a flat wallety thing for her money and cards. Seems like every time she comes into the house she lays it down in a different place and invariably has to search for it when she next wants it. I decided she needs a dedicated place for it like she has for her keys so I doodle up this little thing. The VISA card gives an idea of the size.

It was a quick build. Hopefully she’ll use it.

19 Likes

It’s a neat idea, I think it’s useful.
I’ve been making a key rack for a long time now. I keep telling my wife, just because something needs doing, doesn’t mean I need reminding every three months!

2 Likes

Maple-Mahogany-walnut?-cherry?

1 Like

Walnut and a piece of pre-finished birch plywood.

3 Likes

Nice project. What did you use as glide material for the pull-out, is it aluminum u-channel?

Thanks.

Yes. I was concerned about strength if I just cut grooves in the sides that close to the bottom edge. The U-channel is epoxied into a rabbet instead.

By the way, my wife likes it. She puts phone on top.

1 Like

How heavy is her wallet? :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

I was not so concerned about the weight of her wallet as was about the angle she pull the drawer out. To get as much drawer height as possible there’s only a sixteenth of an inch between the groove and the bottom of the side. That would be very weak if it was only wood. I’m not worried about the aluminum (aluminium for you. :smiley: ) though.

1 Like

I really like it. Could do a larger matching pair as wall mounted bedside tables.

Excellent. That makes perfect sense.
She leaves her phone at the door?!? Kudos to her! Seems like we’re all way to attached to our phones (or visa versa) :wink:

Thanks Mike. Easy to scale up, I guess.

Well, she hasn’t in the past. I was just upstairs and she was on her phone reading a text message. But maybe she’ll leave it there at night, anyway, and be able to find it in the morning. :smiley:

2 Likes

This looks scaleable. You could make it big enough to take the entire bride!

1 Like

Nice idea but a drawer needs dovetails :wink:

1 Like

I thought about that but I don’t like cutting dovetails in 1/4 in, thick pre-finished ply. :smiley:

1 Like

Good job Dave. Practical and attractive and as long as she likes it, it a big win!!!

At least I got the nuts right…

1 Like

Cool. What keeps the drawer from pulling out?

Thanks.

Being smarter than the drawer. :smiley:

5 Likes

It’ll never catch on.

3 Likes

Nice, clean & efficient!