A building question

I was looking around at some building codes and found this Stud Size, Height and Spacing | UpCodes

Does this mean a wall can’t be vertically continuous for more than 10’? If so, where can I find some methods of framing a wall that’s say, 17’, like the one I need for this garage?

Seans Garage - V2.skp (10.3 MB)

Without knowing where this will be located it is hard to answer
First question is the seventeen foot height a clear height under any point of the structure?
What are the wind and snow loads?
I would suggest contacting a pre-engineered metal building dealer or a pole barn contractor in your area for a building of this size and use! This is not a building for wood stud and rafter framing.

Just doesn’t give blanket approval for walls over 10’, but you can check the numbers for your specific case and see if it works anyway. A high slenderness ratio severely reduces the amount of load they can take, but they can still take some amount. Depends how much load you have.

Depending on your location, using some kind of post and beam structure might be more economical, with the walls only taking their own weight. Our climate has high snow loads, and I have designed several buildings with similar dimensions and some of them had a steel structure, some prefab concrete. BTW, what is the height for? An overhead crane?

Prescriptive methods like this really only work for vanilla conditions… I am guessing that is why it is capped at 10’. Walls over that height are specified and built every day. When designed, thought, things like wall width, adjoining walls, lateral stability, and anchoring become much more important. At that point, prescriptive design is not enough. That’s when designers and engineers earn their pay!

1 Like

It is possible the 10’ requirement may be for a fire code. to help prevent the upward spread of a fire. Usually a plate is used then another 10’ may be added. Anything without a plate in my area is referred to as balloon construction.

A second floor, and a full-sized bus. However, I found out today that the tractor he wants to put in there is too big for the ceiling I designed. SO, wide and open it will have to be.

The problem with a pre-fab steel building is:

1. The price for metal is absolutely outrageous right now - no way.
  2. He wants us to do it, not a pre-fab building company.

And the pole barn idea is good but his options for siding become limited. He would like to have Hardi plank, but you know :man_shrugging: