3ds Max/vray importing into Sketchup

Thank you 3DxJFD, much appreciated. I’m still a noob at Sketchup so I’ll work through your thoughts here. Thank you again!

1 Like

@DaveR may know a way to avoid some of the problems my suggestion causes. Dave, is there a way prep the profile and path for good results with Follow Me? Or, is there an option using extensions that does the job better?

The guests stayed longer than I was expecting. Just back now.

I think @3DxJFD has you mostly sorted out. The trick with your path for Follow Me is to think about how the real thing would be made and model it the same way. The latest version you have probably wouldn’t be made it one piece, at least if it was made of wood.

Also with Follow Me, consider that the way it works is to extrude the profile perpendicular to each segment of the path. The issue, as James shows in his screenshots is that the radius of the path on the second bend from the left is tighter than the width of the profile will allow. Hopefully this will clarify.

Here I’ve taken the path with the smaller radius bend. I’ve offset the path to the bottom corner of the profile. Notice there’s no radius on the offset path and there’s still the bulge on the upper part of the profile.

Now here I’ve offset the entire path to the limit of the profile and added a small radius where the 90° corner was.

And here’s the result of Follow Me.

Of course I have no idea if that radius is correct. Maybe it needs to be larger or smaller.

I also tried a number of different things but they mostly led to more problems :^).

I tried to think in terms of how that piece could be cut… and didn’t find a solution. But one way to check is to select the Face (try double clicking if it doesn’t start), then Follow Me, and then hover along the path. You can at least see where the problem begins as you ‘scroll’ along the Follow Me path.

And low and behold… if you move the path as shown, the Follow Me creates a solid.

Just stumbled onto that one…

Thank you @DaveR and @3DxJFD, that is perfect! You all really helped, I appreciate the time you took as well. It is making better sense to me now. The file will end up being exported as an EPS for my co-workers. Is there a setting you like best with Soften Edges? I need to make this look like a clean line drawing.
Thank you again!

I’ve never had any need for EPS files so I can’t tell you for sure. If I want high quality images I use LayOut and export .png files. This is an example modeled in SketchUp, views set up in LayOut, and exported to .png. You should be able to click on it and get to a very large version of it.

Those are gorgeous illustrations, @DaveR!

I need to save as Eps files because they are used in print and web. Needing additional layout options that can be done in the InDesign app that can be done to Eps files.

I saved my Eps as a pdf and attached it to ask (yet another) question. On the top right, there are lines that I would like to smooth out. I had added extra points to the moulding profile. Could they be coming from the path, and if so how do I make that smoother?
Thank you again!
Handrail fitting shape.pdf (112.1 KB)
Handrail fitting shape.skp (250.7 KB)

Thank you.

What I see in your PDF is the facets in the model. I expect due to the vector-only aspect of the EPS file (as well as PDF exports direct from SketchUp) the shading is not going to be smooth as in the hybrid rendered images in LayOut. Adding more edge segments in the curves will make those facets narrower but won’t completely eliminate them. The image will likely need post-processing to make the surfaces appear smooth.

It might be worth asking if the folks working with InDesign can manage with .png files instead.

@DaveR that is a good idea. I’ll try using Layout to get a pdf and see what they think. It means a lot to be able to get help like this. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Maybe they can use a PDF from LayOut, too. If you haven’t worked with LayOut, remember to first create scenes in SketchUp that show the model as you need to show it. You can put as many viewports on a page as needed. In my image of the tubing cutter there are the four views of the model distributed on the page. It shows the grid but you don’t have to have that. With PNG image exports you’d get a transparent background if the paper is white. That might also be useful. Render the viewports as Hybrid which will give you vector lines and the softened surfaces in the PDF.

Perfect, @DaveR! I am getting closer :smiley:
When saving as a Hybrid and png, I am getting a white background. How do you get the transparent background?
Also, When choosing to export as a PNG, I am given the export option of sizes and I type in a resolution of 600 pixels/inch. Is that what you suggest for print?
Thank you again!

Hi!
Under Styles I uncheck Background, Sky and Ground. It looks white around the model. I go to Layout and choose plain paper letter portrait. I uncheck background under Style. Exporting as a png at 1020 pixels/inch. Opening it in Photoshop and the background is gray.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I’ve watched a bunch or tutorials and can’t get a transparent background.

In SketchUp edit the style to turn off the Sky and Ground and set the background color to white. Update the style by clicking on the style’s thumbnail at the top left of the Styles panel. Save the change to the Sketchup file and then in LayOut update the reference. Also select the viewport and Reset the style in the SketchUp Model panel.

Screenshot - 7_7_2023 , 12_27_45 PM

Thank you @DaveR ! That worked for me. Yay! Much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi!
I have some holes in my geometry. I watched a tutorial on filling holes in geometry using the pencil and joining endpoints, but what if its on a curve and around a curve?
Thank you!

6710 handrail fitting-No Shading.skp (3.2 MB)

There are extensions like Curviloft that could probably fill those missing faces but they are missing because they are so small. You could use “The Dave Method” before using Follow Me to avoid the tiny face issue. Also you could certainly get away with fewer segments in the profile arcs at those bottom corners.

@DaveR thank you for this! It has worked and this tip is going into my How-to note pad.
Thank you again!

1 Like

Hello!
I have been working with a rectangle and a arch at the top to use with the Follow Me tool. I want to get the arched top on the rectangle for a stairway newel. I am not getting it right. Any thoughts as to how I would match the image here? (the attached image was roughly drawn). Thank you!

Share your SketchUp model so we can see what you already have set up. I do it like this.

1 Like

You can use soap skin bubble, curviloft or extrude tools to generate a mesh like that.