3D Textures applied to faces

In it’s simplest terms: a component arrayed across a face.

Yes, I could do this manually, BUT a 3D texture would have the following advantages over duplicating a component lots of times:

• no clutter of snap-to points: the underlying geometry’s bounding edges, end points and mid-points would be snapped to or moved with the normal tools.
  • scaling/stretching/re-shaping the underlying geometry would not deform the 3D texture and automatically trim the 3D texture to the face’s shape.
  • automatic array: new instance of the 3D texture buts against the previous one and a grid is formed of the component. If the component’s scale, dimension or position changes, then the array would automatically grow/shrink to accommodate (like textures do)
  • image/colour textures could be applied to elements within the 3D texture component that differ from the underlying geometry.
  • tic-box for “solid” would take solid geometry components and form faces where they are ‘cut’ at the edges of the underlying face.
  • anything drawn above the blue plane would be additive geometry to the face. any shape drawn on the blue plane would be subtracted from the face it’s applied to. any shape drawn below the blue plane would be deducted from the underlying face the texture was applied to.
  • this could be “Exploded” into one group that could be edited as any other geometry. (and would be exploded in any export for other packages.)
  • the “width” & “depth” could be numerically set in a selection/edit dialogue, along with off-set x&y, rotation and height (scales would be able to toggle between % and actual dimensions)
  • the component could be used/edited like any other component - it would just have a tag to say that it could be used as a 3D texture.

I can think of millions of practical applications for this: from grill cut-outs to brick walls to grass to pipes to bubble wrap to ceiling panels to toothed cogs to screw holes & rivits to aztec carvings to carpentry beading…

(Not sure if DC’s would be a good thing to use in this context, but I suppose they could be used to add a random element to the texture or do other funky things like animate)

are you talking about bump map/displacement?

these things are usually controlled in rendering engines?

I think implementing this directly in SketchUp may increase too much of complexity.

[quote=“josephkim626, post:2, topic:15823”]
are you talking about bump map/displacement?
[/quote]Nope - i’m talking about true 3D geometry being used as a tiled component over a face. Not saying it couldn’t be used as a bump map (so you don’t actually need the bump map).

Yes, bump maps and displacements are, but they are image processing “tricks” to make a surface look like it has a 3d texture on it. Brilliant for rendering and producing images, but not a true 3D object.

[quote=“josephkim626, post:2, topic:15823”]
I think implementing this directly in SketchUp may increase too much of complexity.
[/quote]It’s as complex or simple as you want to make it. It’s a tool that could be used to turn a surface into railings and a balustrade with one click. It could make vent holes in a 3D printed case with one click. A simple box for a radiator gets contours and it can be stretched without distortion. Holes get cut into wood (and screws get inserted) at specific spacing - no matter the length of wood. A wooden bench seat gets the slats on the back made from one surface… there are an almost infinite number of applications that could be really complex, or could be as simple as adding grip dimples to a 3D model.

(Holes cut into the faces it’s applied to would automatically cut the texture too.)

Edit: Note the points in the first post - existing plugins can produce the same end results, but not while maintaining the ease of manipulation of the underlying geometry and not without having to re-generate when this geometry changes.

I think similar functions are done in some plugins.

One I use is Profile Builder 2
does the job of railings and balustrade stuff.

I do understand your point though, it would be a good feature.

For some cases, the plugin Flowify can help you here…

There is an app for that (Smartphones) = There is a plugin for that (SketchUp)

the soon to be released Scatter extension addresses a lot of your ideas…

john