3D printing of my Sketchup file

Good morning to all of you. I want to know how to 3D print the attached gear. This gear was designed thanks to the plugin that I am currently presenting SPGearVersion_2.02, which wants to evolve to a 3D printing tool of SketchUp files.
Thanks in advance.projet3D.skp (4.1 MB)

You have multiple nested groups. If they are all combined, they will be recognized as a solid.

1 Like

Good morning, Jim.
As I understand it is not possible to 3D print a Sketchup 2017 file, because I can’t turn my drawing into a solid component?

I may have misunderstood your question. Normally, it’s a good idea to make sure that SketchUp sees the model as a “solid.” Once that’s done, you export the object as an STL file. However, most 3D printing slicers will correctly interpret what you have as it is currently. I selected the gear unchanged and exported it to an STL file. Using Slic3r, it looks like this:

MakerBot seems happy with it as well:

The STL export extension is available from the Extension Warehouse if you don’t have it already.
So I guess all you need to do is export it and print it :slightly_smiling_face:

OK Thanks Jim.
I now have a .stl file, but I don’t have a 3D printer. Is it possible to sub-process printing with the SketchUp community?

To 3D print this design successfully you need to know the usage case. If this is interfacing with metal gears then an FDM part will not last very long if PLA is used, and printing in ABS is much more tricky. What about using iMaterialise to print it, you could use SLS nylon which is pretty durable, and the finished part would be more accurate than an FDM printed part.

1 Like

I use Shapeways for my printing. They have a wide variety of materials to choose from. You upload your file to their website and order your part.

I made a gear train which you can view here: 3D Printed Gear Train - YouTube

Okay, thank you very much.Jim

This is to replace a gable from a lifting mechanism (gable/screw) with a bed box. The original piece is not a hollow wheel but is a simple helical wheel made of hard white plastic. I don’t know much about material choices. To ensure improved durability I opted for a hollow wheel, but I’m not sure in what materials. Give me your opinion on it. Thank you

Do you know what the “white plastic” is? I uploaded the model to iMaterialise and it would cost £11.47 (plus postage) in SLS nylon (polyamide) a good gerneral purpose material. There are many other material choices available including: Alumide, ABS, Polypropylene, Steel … for varying prices.

Unfortunately, I do not know what this white plastic is. The cylindrical screw is made of steel. What material would you use?
Do you make it happen?