3D Modeling Challenges are HERE!

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/embed.html?mid=9148cee4-7a3e-4ad2-b87e-ce03b5861123&width=580&height=326

I’m excited to announce that we’re bringing 3D modeling challenges to our community. There’s nothing we love more than seeing the amazing models you create, and what better way to see what you can do than to add a little competition to the mix?

For this first challenge, we’re asking you to think warm, beachy thoughts. We’re in the midst of winter here in Colorado and we could use a little heat! Use this model as inspiration or as the setting to build your dream beach house, treehouse, or even tiki hut. Bonus points if there’s an extra hammock for us.

Feel free to get as creative as you want. We’re judging this based on both your solid modeling skills and your imagination, but we’re purposely leaving it open-ended so we can see what you come up with :slight_smile:

What’s in it for you?

Winning modeler receives: 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse, SketchUp swag, model printed and hung as art in the SketchUp office and featured in our 3D Basecamp gallery in Palm Springs!

Details and Rules:

• Model(s) must be created from scratch in SketchUp only; no downloading from 3D warehouse or other 3D modeling libraries
  • Adding environments / backgrounds is not required but strongly encouraged
  • You must add your model(s) to 3D Warehouse and tag it with the hashtag “#winterblues” to be considered
  • Up to three entries per modeler
  • The model(s) must be completed and uploaded to 3D Warehouse by March 30, 2018
  • Winner will be contacted at the email address listed on your 3D Warehouse account
  • Judging is based on both solid modeling and creativity. The first round of judging will be done by the SketchUp team, and the final round will be done by YOU! Stay tuned for the online poll after March 30, 2018

Terms and Conditions

• No purchase necessary
  • SketchUp 3D Modeling Challenge starts on February 15, 2018 and runs through March 30, 2018
  • No more than three entries per individual
  • By entering this competition, participants have accepted and agreed to the conditions
  • Prizes include 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse, SketchUp swag, winning model printed and hung as art. No alternative prizes available
  • Models must be uploaded to 3D Warehouse and tagged #winterblues to be considered
  • The winner will be contacted via email by April 13, 2018
  • Sponsor: Trimble, Inc. 935 Stewart Dr, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
23 Likes

Love the idea and I hope people get involved

but can I suggest the competition revolves around more meaningful tasks

How about a competition to build a historic site?

or assist an charity with a design issue?

or a derelict park in a disadvantaged community?

Housing model for homeless people?

or how about , not competition but collabroation

Imagine all the talent in the world preparing a collaborative design in SketchUp for low cost housing,

Might even accelerate SU’s development into collaborative design

:slight_smile:

PS I downloaded the model :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hope this will be a frequent event, and then there is time for both serious and more silly challenges. One month the challenge could be sustainable urban design, the next a super base for a super villain. :smiley:

9 Likes

I love the SketchUp socks, sadly I don’t have any…

So it’ll have to be won because Basecamps aren’t held anywhere near where I’m based.

2 Likes

I’m based in Swede. That’s not anywhere near the Basecamp but still I go there for the socks (well, not really for the socks, but the socks are nice too :stuck_out_tongue: )

3 Likes

I didnt’ get any socks at the Basecamp I went to, I demand some back-dated socks!!

5 Likes

Oh no! What a wasted trip! :open_mouth: xD

1 Like

Would you settle for two left socks that are left :socks: (behind)?

3 Likes

Yes i’m left handed and footed, so I only really care about one side.

1 Like

If Liam wear socks…

dogwearpants%5B1%5D

13 Likes

Is downloading textures allowed?

You sure can!

1 Like

This might give me something to do, since I have recently run out of projects :smiley: I hope mine doesn’t look too dull, because this is actually a representation of something I love to do: “Abandoned Railroad Trestle Hunting”. I can only do it in the summertime, because winters in Maine are FRIGID!!! I’m sure this 3D Challenge thing will be great!

I actually created a model of what could be cheap housing. As ugly as it is, it consists of a template of simple parts, sort of like Lincoln Logs.
CheapDisposableHousing.skp (476.7 KB)

1 Like

Interesting design Cameron - remember with homeless housing cost is a major concern so usually its best to use easily available existing materials [off the shelf] … and the ratio of enclosed space to structure is also important… nevertheless the concept of building low cost housing with the equivalent of LEGO blocks is a good one and has been tried - look at youtube for low cost housing construction…

Is that an extreme version of train spotting :slight_smile:

Boy, do I wish, but sadly, what I have found are not the 500’ tall wooden trestles spanning entire valleys :disappointed_relieved: (Which would actually be quite dangerous), but are small trestles along the water. Here is a photograph example (A bit more weathered than the ones I have seen and found)Unknown-4

I didn’t take this photo, but I have a small collection of bolts and other things from this. It is extremely fun to do, and I would eventually like to row out to this location. This is a trolley trestle which is, from end to end, a quarter-mile long. The only thing left of what used to be rails, ties, spikes, and telephone poles, are rotten pilings. Here are what two of many trestles might’ve looked like.
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/aa869a24-abd5-4719-8a25-eb059fd5733d/Kittery-Point-Trestle

2 Likes

Cool! You could post stuff in the Gallery section.

really interesting, I participate!