3D Modeling Challenges are HERE!

If the group is a solid. What he is asking is, does it have to be 3D printable?

No, it’s not. Here is an explanation from SketchUp Help Center:

In SketchUp, a solid is any 3D model (component or group) that has a finite closed volume. A SketchUp solid cannot have any leaks (missing faces or faces that do not meet at an edge).

It’s always good idea to work with solids for rendering or 3D printing etc.

And here is more info: UNDERSTANDING SOLID OBJECTS IN SKETCHUP

Ahh thanks, yes it all makes sense now… as I see the winner can have the model printed!!

Oh dear, back to the drawing board it is…

To clarify, we’re printing the model as an image not 3D printing it :slight_smile:

Ah haa! :+1:

We’ve got some great prizes available for the winner! Check out the preview Aaron gave on FB Live this morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m still in confusion a bit. Does the whole model need to be a solid group or can it consist of several solids which doesn’t make a solid if grouped together…

Ex. This model consist multiple solid groups grouped together: Modern Beach Cabin | 3D Warehouse
And this whole model is a single solid group: Modern Beach Cabin - SketchUp Competition #1 | 3D Warehouse

No, it doesn’t need to be a solid group.

Hello there. my question is: can trees and plants downloaded from the 3d warehouse be used?

That should answer you question…

Is there a size limit to the Model? What’s the size cap for the warehouse?

Warehouse only accepts up to 50mb.

Is the contest open to international participants?

1 Like

You bet! Just add your model to 3D Warehouse and tag it with the #winterblues hashtag.

Hi, I have a model to submit but it’s rather invlved, more of a scenario than a basic model. It tops out at a little over 69 mb so warehouse won’t accept it. Is there something I can do to decrease the size without deleting parts of it. It does contain a lot of groups.

Have you purged your model? You could also condense layers and reduce the number of materials in your model.

Hi Member ,Thanks I’m kind of new at exporting .What do you mean by purging? And to consolidate layers do you mean pick them and make a group?

Purging your model should help out tremendously. Go to Window > Model Info > Statistics > Purge Unused

Reducing the number of layers may also help. If you can combine a few layers into one it may reduce the file size by a bit.

Thanks I’ll give it a shot

you can also purge your model by downloading directly on the 3d warehouse.20180315_230549