2017 not launching

If you eject the disk after installing, the DMG will still be in your downloads folder, so no need to re-download. @slbaumgartner is right, and since you’re still on El Capitan, it’s not an app translocation (google that for fun reading) issue because that’s Sierra only, and we’re signed. Anti-virus installed?

a 30 day trial period with unlimited functionality of a commercial business software is more than generous.

not really, professional 3D modelers typically start in this price region… not everything is freeware/open source, especially in the CAx area.

surely not, even the low-end intel HD GPU integrated in the CPU does work… with a recent driver of course.

for a personal/non-commercial usage you may want get generously (again) the free but functionally limited SketchUp Make version

pretty inappropriate ranting * imho *

3 Likes

Sketchup 2017 restrictions prevent it from running when in a Windows Remote Desktop session. I often need to access my work computer from home, and since upgrading to 2017 I am no longer able to open the Sketchup application remotely. That being said, I have discovered that if I leave the Sketchup application running, it works just fine remotely. This is not always possible, so Is there a work around to allow Sketchup to startup when using a Windows Remote Desktop session?

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/36208

Hi
I updated the drivers for the integrated graphic card and for my Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M, 16 GB. Afterwards SU 2017 won´t launch. I have windows 10, 64-bit. When I press “Start using sketchup” it shuts down and bugsplat pops up. I ran SU checkup that told me - Error: Your “Intel(R) HD Graphics 530” graphics card has 1 MB of graphics card memory. SketchUp requires a graphics card that has 256 MB or more of memory.
Warning: SketchUp has detected you are using a “Intel(R) HD Graphics 530” graphics card when your system is capable of using an AMD or NVIDIA graphics card. SketchUp will likely perform better if you change your system to use the AMD or NVIDIA card.

I´ve tried pretty much everything I know (sadly, in my case not that much). I’ve performed suggested actions described in the second instruction above. Did not help. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled SU. I’ve updated pretty much everything. Don’t know what to do. I would be very grateful for help solving this issue.

Best Regards
Christoffer

@cromland as you have a laptop, you need to adjust setting in NVIDIA control panel, 3D settings, under the menu to adjust stuff per program, for your laptop to use your NVIDIA card instead of using the default use of the Intel chipset.

@catamountain
Tried that. I’ve set it to use the Nvidia and not the Intel chip, doesn’t work. Checkup repeats that it tries to use the Intel chip, even if I right-click on the SU-icon and click launch with Nvidia.

Did you change the setting through the NVIDIA control panel itself?

And when you reinstalled SU17, did you r-click on the installer and select Run as administrator?

I’ve changed the setting in the Nvidia control panel and installed SU17 as administrator.
/C

Did you submit the bugsplats along with contact info?

Note this holiday week may greatly delay a SU staffer response.

Yes I have. Now, after a couple of hours sleep I will try to roll back my drive routines for the graphic cards.

Rolling back drivers did not work. Reinstalled the latest update. Now completely out of ideas.

Good morning! You mentioned that Checkup is showing the Intel card, are you able to start SketchUp? If you have your settings for the NVIDEA correct (and it has enough to run SketchUp), you should be able to run SketchUp even if Checkup is still giving you that error.

Hi
I’ve set NVIDIA according to protocol published Resolving NVIDIA error message:

Error Message: “Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specifications needed to run the application. The application must close. Error code: 6” To resolve this issue, please try the following steps:
Right-click on the Desktop and click Nvidia Control Panel.
Click Manage 3D settings.
Click Program Settings.
Select SketchUp from the drop-down list.
There are five settings that you need to configure:

Anisotropic Filtering set to Application Controlled.
Antialiasing FxAA set to On.
Antialiasing Gamma set to On.
Antialiasing Mode set to Application Controlled.
Open GL set to the name of the video card that you have.

Still doesn’t work. I couldn’t perform the last action, Open GL set…, because I didn’t find it in my Nvidia control panel.‘’

Sketchup Check up now gives me the following error message:
Error: Your “GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2” graphics card has 1 MB of graphics card memory. SketchUp requires a graphics card that has 256 MB or more of memory.
Success: System RAM requirement has been met!
Success: Operating system version requirement has been met!
Success: Graphics card OpenGL requirement has been met!
Success: Graphics card Hardware Acceleration requirement has been met!

/Christoffer

Are you able to start SketchUp? Can you show me what happens when you start SketchUp? Or LayOut?

Please include a screenshot of the error message you’re seeing in your reply to this email and we can troubleshoot the issue further.

Mac - http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Mac-OS-X
Win - The Easiest Way to Take a Screenshot in Windows | wikiHow

There is a known issue where Checkup shows the wrong value for the graphics card RAM (it is actually the msinfo file reporting the wrong value and we just read that file). When that happens, Checkup shows an error, but SketchUp should still be able to start.

Sketchup starts in the sense that the welcome window where you choose template and so forth comes up , but when I press Start using sketchup-button it immediately shuts down and generates a bugsplat report.

Graphic drivers are the vehicle that supplies OpenGL functionality to the computer.

Setting up the video card for OpenGL means choosing the NVIDIA card for SU instead of the integrated Intel chipset - which uses a different driver.

Doesn’t help if I set it to Nvidia by default

/Christoffer

Your Nvidia SketchUp application settings are just as they should be. “The OpenGL Rendering GPU” setting you found in some instructions refers to the driver settings for the Quadro series of graphics cards.

What version is your Nvidia driver? To me it seems that usually everything works as it should for months or even years and then Microsoft introduces some Windows update that forces you to upgrade your driver.

Anssi

Install any SU plugins/extensions?

There could be another installed app that’s causing the splat - last month I helped someone with a very good NVIDIA find a problematic startup program. If any third-party, SU extension also is ruled out, try opening SU17 in clean boot mode. Clean boot mode only installs required background programs and services to help troubleshoot problems like this. Setting it up is relatively easy, using a utility that comes with Windows.