XYZ file terrain modeling

The input data is treated as inches since this is the internal unit of choice for SketchUp. You can scale and relocate the existing import, but this is not as easy as it would normally be due to the size of the geometry and the offsets involved. To make this a little more painless, I added a choice of units to the plugin which will scale the data accordingly. You will need to download and install the new version and re-import your data for the point info to display correctly for you.

[added at 15:52 GMT] I left off a parentheses in the previously uploaded files … this has been corrected in the current file. My bad for not testing one last change …

I use Notepad++ although Windows regular Notepad will work just fine. It’s just a text file. The actual code is called “thomas_merge.rb” and the zipped version is “thomas_merge.rbz”. You can download either from my Spirix site (or find them in your AppData folder under SketchUp).

The ability to import Google Earth terrain is going to change soon. See this thread for more information:

Adding buildings to the imported terrain should be fairly straight-forward if the models are to the same scale.