Xeon vs. Core i7 CPU?

Thank you, catamountain.

I downloaded the latest driver but can’t see a Nvidia control panel anywhere on this machine. All I get is a GEFORCE EXPERIENCE portal to download and update drivers. Therefore checking to see if the Nvidia card is selected for SU is seemingly impossible. Any hints on where I can find that control panel. I do apologize as I am migrating back to a PC environment from a mac. I appreciate your understanding.

Try r-clicking on an empty space in the Windows desktop. On Win7, one of the context menu options is the Nvidia control panel.

catamountain,

Cheers! Your Win7 trick worked on Win10. I ran the Sketchup 2017 checkup and this time it was 100% success.

You folks on the Sketchup community are truly amazing and generous with your knowledge and help.

Thanks again.

go for an IPS (or VA) display (= wide viewing angle, better contrast) preferrably as matte version.

Why your tech guy recommended an Intel Xeon cpu is beyond me.
Xeon cpus were designed to address the need for enterprise-class workstations and servers, not games, or even high end 3D graphics apps…I’m not saying they are dogs with those tasks, but when I took my wife’s Dell server with dual Xeon cpus and loaded it with a number of gaming/graphics apps, after a month of playing around, it was soon very clear that (compared to my Socket 1150 i7, it simply couldn’t keep up.
Got a database to work with? Do you need to multitask in a big way? Xeons are perfect for those kinds of tasks.

OK, so I don’t know if this is the right place, but it is related. I have a 4yr old Dell desk top with an intel Xeon CPU E-3 1225 v2 running At 3.2 GHz. Sketchup 2017 Checkup (congrats to the SU team for that) indicated that I needed a GPU with more memory. Great, so I decided on a gforce GTX 1060. My problem is that it requires a new (additional?) power supply. I would like to get a Corsair as they are reputed to be quiet and reliable. I have in the past replaced many components in my computers, but never a power supply. Like mother boards and GPUs there are too many choices out there. Modular vs semimodular, wattage, included power cables, and so on. So I need to find a site/ video that can help me make the right choice and give clear installation and connection instructions.

If I lived in an urban area I would simply bring it to a shop. However I am in an extremely remote area -not an option.

@jcharltoncarp what is your current graphic card and memory specs? There is a known Checkup issue on misreporting graphic card memory.

One of the gurus, is suggesting to go with a power saving model when PS is an issue:

I fixed that post almost 10 minutes after I posted it

I have a gaming PC with GTX 1070 and i7 7700k but will skectchup work well on my Mac with no graphics card?

@shad0w7 you have graphics on your Mac, though it may be integrated. Find your Mac graphic card and memory specs.

My current GPU is a NVS 300 and I am getting strange results from SU 2017. do you need to know computer memory 12,000 Mb or graphics memory which is 512? The figure for memory comes from dell not from Checkup although Checkup gives the same results.

Oops make that 12000Mb memory.

No, I don’t need to know anything else. That card is old and aimed at office applications. It is not a 3D quality graphics card.

I thought you put in your new card and got strange memory information from Checkup about the new card’s memory.

No, I have the new gpu (got a deal), but it does require a new power supply. It has a much higher wattage and requires separate wiring for he GPU fan.

I have a Lenovo Y50 laptop, and it works great for me. I run Sketchup, Revit & other modeling software, no problem.

You couldn’t return the GTX 1050 and get a GTX 1050Ti? Power requirements are lower and still get great performance. Links about that model are in this thread.

Here a short answer I made an other topic:

Single Thread CPU Chart